josefrichter

josefrichter

I have schema a Class has_many User through Enrollment. Currently I have a single enrollments join table, that holds additional data like processed_at parameter.

I am displaying to a user a list of his classes, and need to display his rank (in fact row_number) in each class, which is derived from processed_at parameter. i.e. something like “you are 5th in class Foo, and 7th in class Bar”.

In my live view I am grabbing the user and his enrollments separately:

current_user = Accounts.get_user_by_session_token(session["user_token"])
current_user_enrollments = Accounts.get_user_enrollments(current_user.id)

the first one is standard phoenix auth function, the second one is the more tricky one:

def get_user_enrollments(user_id) do
    enrollments_with_rank =
      from e in Enrollment,
      select: e,
      # this partitions e by class_id and assigns row_number within that partition
      select_merge: %{rank: over(row_number(), partition_by: e.class_id, order_by: e.processed_at)}

    user_enrollments =
      from ex in subquery(enrollments_with_rank),
      where: ex.user_id == ^user_id

    Repo.all(user_enrollments)

  end

I can’t seem to figure out a syntax that would allow me to do this within a preload. This is a function I tried to create:

def preload_ranked_enrollments(user) do
    enrollments_with_rank =
      from e in Enrollment,
      select: e,
      select_merge: %{rank: over(row_number(), partition_by: e.class_id, order_by: e.processed_at)} # assigns rank by processed_at

    user
    |> Repo.preload(enrollments: enrollments_with_rank)
    |> Repo.preload(enrollments: [:class])
  end

and then call it from liveview this way:

current_user = Accounts.get_user_by_session_token(session["user_token"])
    |> Accounts.preload_ranked_enrollments()

However, it seems like the query in preload_ranked_enrollments actually somehow applies where: e.user_id == ^(user.id) because it always returns all enrollments with rank 1. Meaning if I got enrollments with given class_id and user_id, it would always return just 1 row and obviously give it rank 1. Is this something that Repo.preload actually does? Does it somehow inject that additional where clause into the query?

Note: I use terms “rank” and “row_number” interchangeably here, even though in postgres these are two different things and I am aware of the difference. I initially used the term “rank” in my schema, but getting row_number (always unique) rather than rank from postgres. Will probably change this to avoid confusion in code in future.

Thank you.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

fuelen

fuelen

yes, you can inspect this in logs.
Try to wrap enrollments_with_rank in preload_ranked_enrollments function into a subquery, as you did in your first example.

josefrichter

josefrichter OP

Thank you for the suggestion, it seems like that works:

def preload_ranked_enrollments(user) do
    enrollments_with_rank =
      from e in Enrollment,
        select: e,
        # assigns rank by processed_at
        select_merge: %{
          rank: over(row_number(), partition_by: e.class_id, order_by: e.processed_at)
        }

    user_enrollments =
      from ex in subquery(enrollments_with_rank),
        where: ex.user_id == ^(user.id)

    user
    |> Repo.preload(enrollments: user_enrollments)
    |> Repo.preload(enrollments: [:class])
  end
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews