Oliver

Oliver

Hi.

I’m always looking for ways to make code more manageable, readable, and nice to look at. To this end, matching and the case-do statement have become my favorite tools in doing so.

I often found myself writing code like this:

case condition1 do
   match1 -> case condition2 do
               match2 -> ...

I tried pulling out the inner case-do into a function but that wasn’t “pretty” by any standard in a lot of cases. (In some cases it was definitely needed - one size doesn’t fit all.)

What I do these days looks more like this:

case {condition1, condition2} do
  {match1, match2} -> ...
  {match1, _}      -> ...
  {_, match2}      -> ...
  _                -> ...
end

The only thing I don’t like about this is that you have to repeat sometimes the result of one case in another. Just putting it in front of the case statement makes you compute something that might not be needed. You also cannot emulate this:

case condition1 do
   match1 -> common = ...
             case condition2 do
               match2 -> <do something with common>
               match3 -> <do something with common>

So, combining a case-do with tuples is no panacea. But it can clean up some code considerably.

Though you could do this…

common = fn -> <something common> end

case {condition1, condition2} do
  {match1, match2} -> common.() ...
  {match1, match3} -> common.() ...
  {match1, _}      -> ...
  {_, match2}      -> ...
  _                -> ...
end

Hmmm..

Any additional ideas are very welcome!

Showing Posts 1 to 7

NobbZ

NobbZ

Have you tried the with/1 special form?

It is pretty useful to unwrap nested case-expressions.

10
Post #1
Oliver

Oliver OP

I keep forgetting that construct exists!

Thanks! (Sorry for the late reply… busy busy.)

But does the construct truly do anything but open a new scope?

Like, let’s look at the example in the docs, and rewrite it:

opts = %{width: 10, height: 15}
if true do
  {:ok, width}  = Map.fetch(opts, :width)
  {:ok, height} = Map.fetch(opts, :height)
  {:ok, width * height}
end

I have no elixir environment at this computer, but this should be the equivalent, right? Or did I miss something?

[EDIT: I guess the else block for failed matches is of course awesome.]

Could you please give me an example of how you would rewrite a nested case-do statement so I get a better idea of what you’re aiming at?

NobbZ

NobbZ

Your code crashes on a failed match, using with it would “continue” in the else branch.

I can’t give you an example of how to rewrite a nested case, I’m on mobile only until I finished reinstalling my laptop.

Oliver

Oliver OP

The biggest use of that I see is that it replicates the clean code you get from using the Maybe monad in Haskell-likes. As long as your functions fail by returning something emulating a Maybe - so basically {:ok, result} and {:error, result} and you use when to compute all the expensive parts, then you can basically reap the benefits of Maybe without implementing a new construct for it.

with {:ok, phase1} <- expensive_computation(),
     {:ok, phase2} <- read_something_from_db(phase1),
     {:ok, phase3} <- do_a_file_operation(phase2) do
  phase3
else
  :error -> :error
end

[EDIT: Fixed the operator as suggested by @Qqwy]

I like that. :slight_smile:

The purpose of a Maybe is to “fall through” a computation when any step fails, without forcing the user to riddle the code with error-handling after every step. I don’t know how efficient with/1 is in regard to going to the else branch but it sure matches the elegance of such code without much effort.

You even get to define your own pattern what constitutes a Maybe. It just needs to be conveniently match-able. The Erlang convention of using :ok and :error tuples is hard to beat in this regard.

So, I’ll definitely take with-do-else into how I write code in the future. Thanks!

Qqwy

Qqwy

TypeCheck Core Team

Be warned that with {:ok, result} = something() and with {:ok, result} <- something() mean something different!

With <-, the else will be called when it is not matched (or, if there is no else, the non-matching result is passed on to the outside scope).

With =, a MatchError is raised instead.

Oliver

Oliver OP

Oh, sorry, those were typos. I meant to use <-.

Thank you.

jc00ke

jc00ke

Here’s a good thread on Twitter about designing with flows. On a past episode of ElixirTalk, Chris and @desmond talked about how they use it (forgot which episode.) I’ll likely refactor my few with statements to how @devonestes suggested.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews