r11na

r11na

I have two digital ocean instances each running an elixir app but I can’t get them to connect to each other via longnames and Node.connect.

I’m using digitalocean private IPs to connect and the machines definitely can see each other as I can ping them, from each other and they definitely have the cookies set to be the same.

It’s hard to trouble shoot why nodes won’t connect since all it does is return false.

Any ideas what is wrong?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

BitGonzo

BitGonzo

Do you have the required ports open (default 4369)?

http://erlang.org/doc/man/epmd.html

r11na

r11na OP

Below are the netstats of both machines, there are no firewalls enabled. Do I have to open ports explicitly?

Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:37034           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      9622/beam.smp
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.11:37039        0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      -
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:4369            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      9660/epmd
tcp6       0      0 :::4369                 :::*                    LISTEN      9660/epmd
udp        0      0 127.0.0.11:39595        0.0.0.0:*                           -
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:46257           0.0.0.0:*                           9601/narcd


Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:40515           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      9105/beam.smp
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:8080            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      9105/beam.smp
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:4369            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      9146/epmd
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.11:33822        0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      -
tcp6       0      0 :::4369                 :::*                    LISTEN      9146/epmd
udp        0      0 127.0.0.11:34819        0.0.0.0:*                           -
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:60798           0.0.0.0:*                           9085/narcd
voughtdq

voughtdq

You could try starting epmd in the foreground to see what it says when you try to connect them.

r11na

r11na OP

Okay I’ll give this a try when i get the chance later and give an update.

Thanks for your help so far guys!

NobbZ

NobbZ

When you ask your internal DNS, will the longnames resolve to IPv6 or IPv4 Addresses, or are you using IPs directly in the longnames?

r11na

r11na OP

i’m using the digital ocean private ips in the long names

NobbZ

NobbZ

As I’m not using DO, I have to ask whether they are v4 or v6. If the latter, try the former.

idi527

idi527

:waving_hand:

Is private networking enabled for your droplets?

NobbZ

NobbZ

I think we can assume so:

r11na

r11na OP

I’m using v4.

Haven’t really been having any success with this, can’t help but feel there is something i’m missing here but there is no feed back as to why its not working epmd -d doesn’t really show anything…

I should probably add that the instances are running inside docker containers… maybe that could be the issue?

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews