Huolong

Huolong

The top-level body-less function clause in a multi-head function
is currently used for defining default argument values,
and argument names for doc.

There are two kinds of guards:

  • Type-level guards that enforce the argument types for all function clauses.
  • Guard-matching clauses that select amongst function bodies.

It is tiresome and error-prone to duplicate type-level guards in every specific function head. It also clutters the guards, and makes it difficult to distinguish the type-level enforcement and the selective guards.

I propose the language is changed to allow guards on the body-less top-level function head. These would be the type-level guards to be applied as a precondition before any other function clause is matched, or perhaps ANDed with every other function clause to let the Erlang guard/pattern compiler factor out the common guards to the front of the match execution.

I have had this desire for some time, but what triggered this post and suggestion is seeing this in the Stream implementation:

  def take(enum, count) when is_integer(count) do
    take_after_guards(enum, count)
  end

  defp take_after_guards(_enum, 0), do: %Stream{enum: []}

  defp take_after_guards([], _count), do: %Stream{enum: []}

  defp take_after_guards(enum, count) when count > 0 do
    lazy(enum, count, fn f1 -> R.take(f1) end)
  end

  defp take_after_guards(enum, count) when count < 0 do
    &Enumerable.reduce(Enum.take(enum, count), &1, &2)
  end

Obviously someone else has had the same thought.

With my suggestion, the above code would become:

  def take(enum, count) when is_integer(count) 

  def take(_enum, 0), do: %Stream{enum: []}

  def take([], _count), do: %Stream{enum: []}

  def take(enum, count) when count > 0 do
    lazy(enum, count, fn f1 -> R.take(f1) end)
  end

  def take(enum, count) when count < 0 do
    &Enumerable.reduce(Enum.take(enum, count), &1, &2)
  end

- Fire Dragon

Showing Posts 1 to 2

eksperimental

eksperimental

The “convention” that we have been using in Elixir core is to suffix the function names with _guarded Code search results · GitHub.

I worked years ago on a project to implement something like this,
This one was called defensure (and its counterpart deffail) which was a macro which created a function definition that will generate a negation of your clauses,
in your example it will generate

def take(enum, count) when not( is_integer(count) ),
  do: raise(FunctionClauseFailError)

If your proposal is accepted, it think it should introduce a new syntax for this feature and not extend on top of def/defp

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Very nice pointer about the _guarded suffix! I’ll follow that from now on. :041:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews