chulkilee

chulkilee

I wrapped an API using pagination with Stream.unfold so that it returns Enum.t (Enumerable.t).

Is it possible to specify @spec of values that will be yield from the Enumerable struct?

Showing Posts 1 to 3

alfert

alfert

You can of course write a spec for your function, where you say what type of values are returned. But you cannot derive it from the type spec of the enumerable or the stream itself. This has two reasons: First, the type of an enumerable, Enum.t has no type parameter, which would constraint an enumerable to, say an enum of integers. Secondly, the missing strict static typing of Elixir allows for putting all kinds of values into an enumeration. That is the reason why in the API of Enumerable the type element is only an alias of any.

What you can do is to spec your function in way to say it returns a list of a specific element type, e.g. list(integer). The diaylzer can then check, whether this specification is fulfilled in your program.

chulkilee

chulkilee OP

Oh, list(integer) trick would do the trick. Thanks!

However, I think then it gives incorrect info. For example, as I use Stream, it does not have all functions of List.

Enum.t is just Enumerable.t (ref) and I guess Enumerable.t is defined from Protocol (ref). It looks like it is possible to pass @t when using defprotocol - but I’m not sure it is possible to pass type parameter down to that part. Hm.

alfert

alfert

It depends what you want to do with the type specification. If it should be a help for the reader or programmer, than you can define your enumeration type for your API, e.g. something like

@opaque my_enum(t) :: list(t) | Enum.t

This compiles, reveals no details about the internal of type (thus @opaque) and you communicate your intention. But the dialyzer cannot help at finding type errors. The following snippet is wrong, but dialyzer does not complain:

  @opaque my_enum(t) :: Enum.t | Enumerable.t | list(t)

  @spec take_ten(integer) :: my_enum(integer)
  def take_ten(max) do
    max
    |> Stream.unfold(fn 0 -> nil; n -> {n, n-1} end)
    |> Stream.take(10)
  end

  @spec ten_ints() :: list(atom)
  def ten_ints() do
    take_ten(20) |> Enum.to_list()
  end

I assume that it comes from type union. It could be a list of atoms, because the stream functions are allowed to return enumerable of any type. And you cannot use Enum.t(integer) because it is not defined in the Enum module. This could be an interesting bug report and PR for the Enum module, because you could define type t this way:

@type t :: t(any)
@type t(x) :: Enumerable.t(x)

You need to specify properly all enum functions to take parameterized types. But I am unsure how the type definition on the protocol level works, in particular since Enumerable.t is not defined explicitly but seems to generated by defprotocol.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews