mat_garland_1
I’m wanting to start a new Elixir/Phoenix application and wanted to confirm my understanding of how I should execute the mix tasks in order to obtain the structure I need.
Let’s say my main application name is “my_app”. Inside “my_app” I need three separate applications. Those three applications will use the Phoenix LiveView component and are called:
- core (back end logic & functions)
- front_end (views & view logic)
- site_admin (views & view logic)
I would like to confirm the following steps I need to execute in order to setup the above structure:
- mix phx.new my_app --umbrella
- cd my_app/apps
- mix phx.new core
- mix phx.new front_end --live
- mix phx.new site_admin --live
Thank you in advance for your time and advice.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 7- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
mat_garland_1
My main reason for posting this is to work out the correct commands to ensure that I have live pages enabled.
Is anybody able to assist me?
kokolegorille
It is highly unusual to have 3 Phoenix servers in the same umbrella.
But If I had to do it, I would probably take the same procedure.
I started with umbrellas, but now I prefer to separate in smaller packages. I find it more flexible.
mat_garland_1
Hi @kokolegorille each server is a separate part of the application, an e-commerce application, I need to be able to start and stop them separately and keep a payments application totally separate for easier PCI compliance. Additionally I’ll be using context’s within each project. I chose umbrella as I need the ability to deploy each project separately, and not necessarily at the same time.
How should I set up my mix project to do just one server? Should I put the –live flag and the –umbrella flag on the top level mix statement only? Should I opt for such a set up or would the Architecture I started with be better?
kokolegorille
This is going to create multiple Phoenix servers…
Same ecommerce, does this mean same database?
I don’t see the point of grouping all under the same umbrella, if they are meant to be separate, but I don’t understand the use case well…
mat_garland_1
Each umbrella app forms a part of a greater app, an e-commerce application. Yes, same database too.
If using an umbrella application and I manage to decouple the code sufficiently, I can then start and stop parts of the application separately.
Say for example I want to stop the backend whilst leaving other parts running, I am pretty sure In this case I’d only need a single server instance, would you agree?
If this is the case, how should I structure my mix statements?
kokolegorille
Exactly this… but not with an umbrella. I would simply build separate servers from the start (if I had too).
mat_garland_1
Thank you @kokolegorille. I appreciate your advice. I’ll ponder this a while, then make an appropriate decision.