Unable to deploy phoenix with edeliver which throws an compile_env/4 error

I am trying to deploy the app with edeliver. However during the … I get the following error. Not sure what is it actually means. Though in the dev environment it works fine.

1. mix compile - Successful
  2. iex -S mix phx.server - I can serve the api and no issues.
  3. Guardian can also authenticate the JWT token

So puzzled about deployment.

Building the code for edeliver

mix edeliver build release --verbose

Error:

Changed release version from 0.2.1 to 0.2.1+3-59fa8ac
Compiling 284 files (.ex)

== Compilation error in file lib/pxrf/auth/guardian.ex ==
** (FunctionClauseError) no function clause matching in Application."MACRO-compile_env"/4    

The following arguments were given to Application."MACRO-compile_env"/4:

# 1
        #Macro.Env<aliases: [], context: nil, context_modules: [Pxrf.Auth.Guardian], file: "/tmp/edeliver/pxrf/builds/lib/pxrf/auth/guardian.ex", function: nil, functions: [{Kernel, [!=: 2, !==: 2, *: 2, +: 1, +: 2, ++: 2, -: 1, -: 2, --: 2, /: 2, <: 2, <=: 2, ==: 2, ===: 2, =~: 2, >: 2, >=: 2, abs: 1, apply: 2, apply: 3, binary_part: 3, bit_size: 1, byte_size: 1, ceil: 1, div: 2, elem: 2, exit: 1, floor: 1, function_exported?: 3, get_and_update_in: 3, get_in: 2, hd: 1, inspect: 1, inspect: 2, is_atom: 1, is_binary: 1, is_bitstring: 1, is_boolean: 1, is_float: 1, is_function: 1, is_function: 2, ...]}], lexical_tracker: #PID<0.644.0>, line: 2, macro_aliases: [], macros: [{Kernel, [!: 1, &&: 2, ..: 2, ..//: 3, <>: 2, @: 1, alias!: 1, and: 2, binding: 0, binding: 1, def: 1, def: 2, defdelegate: 2, defexception: 1, defguard: 1, defguardp: 1, defimpl: 2, defimpl: 3, defmacro: 1, defmacro: 2, defmacrop: 1, defmacrop: 2, defmodule: 2, defoverridable: 1, defp: 1, defp: 2, defprotocol: 2, defstruct: 1, destructure: 2, get_and_update_in: 2, if: 2, in: 2, is_exception: 1, is_exception: 2, is_nil: 1, is_struct: 1, is_struct: 2, ...]}], module: Pxrf.Auth.Guardian, requires: [Application, Guardian, Kernel, Kernel.Typespec], ...>

# 2
        {:the_otp_app, [line: 2, counter: {Pxrf.Auth.Guardian, 2}], Guardian}

# 3
        [{:__MODULE__, [line: 2, counter: {Pxrf.Auth.Guardian, 2}], Guardian}, :permissions]

# 4
        nil

(elixir 1.12.2) lib/application.ex:505: Application."MACRO-compile_env"/4
    (elixir 1.12.2) expanding macro: Application.compile_env/2
    lib/pxrf/auth/guardian.ex:2: Pxrf.Auth.Guardian (module)
    (elixir 1.12.2) expanding macro: Kernel.||/2
    (elixir 1.12.2) expanding macro: Kernel.@/1
    (guardian 2.3.1) expanding macro: Guardian.__using__/1

A remote command failed on:

user@server

Output of the command is shown above and the command executed
  on that host is printed below for debugging purposes:

FAILED with exit status 1:

[ -f /Users/username/.profile ] && source /Users/username/.profile
    set -e
    cd /tmp/edeliver/pxrf/builds
    if [ "mix" = "rebar3" ]; then
      echo "using rebar3 to compile files"
      [[ "true" != "true" ]] && ./rebar3  clean || :
      ./rebar3  compile
    elif [ "mix" = "rebar" ]; then
      echo "using rebar to compile files"
      [[ "true" != "true" ]] && ./rebar  clean skip_deps=true || :
      ./rebar  compile
    elif [ "mix" = "mix" ] && [ "mix" = "mix" ]; then
      echo "Checking whether deps must be compiled for mix version 1.3.[01234]"
      # see https://github.com/boldpoker/edeliver/issues/94
      if mix --version | grep 'Mix 1.3.[01234]' >/dev/null 2>&1 ; then
        echo "Compiling deps because mix version 1.3.[01234] is used"
        APP="pxrf" MIX_ENV="prod" mix deps.compile
      fi
      if [[ "true" = "true" ]]; then
        APP="pxrf" MIX_ENV="prod" AUTO_VERSION="commit-count+git-revision+branch-unless-master" BRANCH="master" SKIP_RELUP_MODIFICATIONS="" RELUP_MODIFICATION_MODULE="" USING_DISTILLERY="true" mix do release.version  --verbose, compile
      else
        APP="pxrf" MIX_ENV="prod" AUTO_VERSION="commit-count+git-revision+branch-unless-master" BRANCH="master" SKIP_RELUP_MODIFICATIONS="" RELUP_MODIFICATION_MODULE="" USING_DISTILLERY="true" mix do clean, release.version  --verbose, compile
      fi
    elif [ "mix" = "mix" ]; then
      echo "using mix to compile files"
      if [[ "true" = "true" ]]; then
        if [[ -n "commit-count+git-revision+branch-unless-master" ]]; then
          hint_message 'Using --auto-version together with --skip-mix-clean would not work!'
        fi
        APP="pxrf" MIX_ENV="prod" AUTO_VERSION="commit-count+git-revision+branch-unless-master" BRANCH="master" SKIP_RELUP_MODIFICATIONS="" RELUP_MODIFICATION_MODULE="" USING_DISTILLERY="true" mix do deps.compile, release.version  --verbose, compile
      else
        APP="pxrf" MIX_ENV="prod" AUTO_VERSION="commit-count+git-revision+branch-unless-master" BRANCH="master" SKIP_RELUP_MODIFICATIONS="" RELUP_MODIFICATION_MODULE="" USING_DISTILLERY="true" mix do clean, deps.compile, release.version  --verbose, compile
      fi
    fi

Can you show the first few lines of this module? The error message suggests there’s something weird being passed to Application.compile_env there.

1 Like

Here is the guardian code

defmodule Pxrf.Auth.Guardian do
  use Guardian, otp_app: :pixerf

alias Pxrf.Accounts

def subject_for_token(user, _claims) do
    sub = to_string(user.username)
    {:ok, sub}
  end

# error block code 
  def resource_from_claims(%{"sub" => id} = claims) do
    case Accounts.get_user(id) do
      nil -> {:error, :not_found}
      resource -> {:ok, resource}
    end
  end

def resource_from_claims(username) when is_bitstring(username) do
    user = Repo.get_by(User, username: username)
    {:ok, user}
  end

def resource_from_claims(_claims) do
    {:error, :no_id_provided}
  end
end

Not sure why it’s looking for compile_env here. Also this happens only during edeliver. However during normal local mix phx.server it works fine without error.

Is that means sometime to do with runtime.exs?

Here’s the part of Guardian.__using__/1 that’s failing to compile:

The underlying issue is the Elixir version - 1.12 has a bug where using a local variable (or module attribute) as the first argument to Application.compile_env/3 produces exactly the error message you’re seeing:

High-five to @eksperimental for this fix!

I’m still not sure why this only happens when running edeliver, though; is it possible it’s picking up the wrong version of the compiler?

1 Like

So that means I shouldn’t use edeliver? This bug isn’t addressed in edeliver repo I guess.

What is the best way do deploy to an AWS instance? If not via edeliver which support hot updates as well?

def project do
    [
      app: :pxrf,
      version: "0.2.1",
      #elixir: "~> 1.13,
      elixir: "~> 1.12", 
      elixirc_paths: elixirc_paths(Mix.env()),
      compilers: [] ++ Mix.compilers() ++ [:phoenix_swagger],
      start_permanent: Mix.env() == :prod,
      aliases: aliases(),
      deps: deps()
    ]

I thought of changing to elixir: "~> 1.13" will fix the issue but still the same. While fetching dependencies it always stops for :pheonix_swagger and I had to execute the edeliver release again.

Error:

Unchecked dependencies for environment prod:
* phoenix_swagger (Hex package)
  could not find an app file at "_build/prod/lib/phoenix_swagger/ebin/phoenix_swagger.app". This may happen if the dependency was not yet compiled or the dependency indeed has no app file (then you can pass app: false as option)
** (Mix) Can't continue due to errors on dependencies

This is happening only for :phoenix_swagger. Every time I do mix deps.clean --all and fun mix deps.get I get this error as well and I had to run the deps.get command again. Not sure why.

To clarify: the bug I highlighted was unrelated to edeliver, it means that you can’t use Elixir 1.12 together with Guardian 2.3.1.

The connection to edeliver was that it appears that only edeliver was trying to use this combination; mix compile and mix phx.server weren’t seeing the error.

Can you post the application section of your mix.exs? The edeliver readme suggests adding to applications: which is no longer recommended (use extra_applications instead, or rely on Mix auto-detection), and that can cause weird behavior.

1 Like

I didn’t add edeliver to applications because I ran into error running. So I removed totally.

Anyway here is application block from mix.exs

def application do
    [
      mod: {Pxrf.Application, []},
      extra_applications: [
        :logger,
        :runtime_tools,
        :ueberauth,
        :ueberauth_auth0
      ]
    ]
  end

Maybe I’ll try adding to extra_applications and run edeliver. Also I tried mix release and it works fine but CI/CD workflow isn’t great with cross platform. I understand the build won’t work if compiled on a Mac and deployed on Ubuntu. I have an AWS instance which I need to deploy for staging before migrating to production.

Finding alternative deployment for deploying to AWS. Previously this project was running with edeliver prior elixir 1.9.

So still exploring the better way for deployment.

Update:
Adding edeliver to the extra_applications didn’t work either.