medha
I have a POS machine and say several serial devices are connected like scanner to COM1 , card reader to COM2, printer to COM3 or any order, i am unable to detect so using circuits.uart
The output comes as follows :
Circuits.UART.enumerate
#=> %{"ttyS0" => %{}, "ttyS1" => %{}, "ttyS2" => %{}, "ttyS3" => %{}}
Any insight on how we could detect the devices? ![]()
Thanks in advance
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 7- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
NobbZ
As far as I remember
COMports do not communicate some “connected” status or similar, you need to probe them yourself. Best is probably to require fixed ports for auxiliary devices and provide default configs for that or require the user to set each device up correclty via configuration of some kind.medha
So even if we fix ports for the devices, like suppose com1 for cardreader and com2 for scanner, can’t i get the info if the device is physically connected to the com ports via checking any logs or something else??
How do i know the device connected to com1 is cardreader itself and not scanner?
OvermindDL1
You ask it. That’s the nature of the old Serial Ports. ^.^
medha
That’s the problem we have to solve, how to ask ?
NobbZ
You need to look that up in the technical documentation of the device, the chapter that describes the on-the-wire-protocol.
OvermindDL1
Precisely, it’s very specific per each device. This was one of the major reasons the Universal Serial Bus standard (USB) was so much better than the old Serial (excepting that it lost streaming, which it regained in 3.0).
NobbZ
Back in the days I had a printer with 9 pins that also had emulation for 7 an d 24 pins.
It’s protocol had no way to ask if it’s there or what it is. Everything you sent to the printer caused at least a moving head.
And the only command that did not cause printing but gave a response back was asking for the current mode.
So it was idiomatic to “ask” for the current mode and assume it’s the correct device if it answered with one of the 6 valid modes (7, 9, 24 pins in either text or graphical mode).
This was actually a command which started scanning on a hand scanner I had that time. And if you didn’t move the scanner within a timeout period, it actually responded with a valid printer mode. This timeout was about 15 seconds.