sahilpaudel

sahilpaudel

My code snippet.

def make_request(path, params) do
    url = construct_url(path, params)
    headers = []

    case HTTPoison.get(url, headers) do
      {:ok, %HTTPoison.Response{status_code: 200, body: body}} -> 
        case Poison.decode(body) do
          {:ok, decoded} -> {:ok, decoded}
          {:error, error} ->{:error, error}
        end
      {:ok,  %HTTPoison.Response{status_code: status_code }} -> 
          {:error, status_code}
      {:error, error} -> {:error, error}
    end
  
  end

  defp construct_url(path, params) do
    path <> params
  end

the above code is working fine as expected however if I add

headers = [{“Accept-Encoding”,“gzip, deflate”}, {“Content-Type”, “application/json”}]

It gives error

{:error, {:invalid, <<31>>, 0}}

Anything I am doing it wrong here

Showing Posts 1 to 9

Jacek

Jacek

I suppose this can be about compressing the data your receive. Can HTTPoison decompress it on its own? I had a quick look at documentation and didn’t find anything about that. Have you tested your code with the Content-Type header only?

speeddragon

speeddragon

I think that issue could be about Poison.decode/1? Not sure if HTTPoison uncompresses the body. If not, you need to decompress it before you parse it, because ASCII 31 isn’t a valid string character. Not sure if this is the case.

The first 32 characters in the ASCII-table are unprintable control codes and are used to control peripherals such as printers.
https://www.ascii-code.com/

jaydorsey

jaydorsey

Long shot, but your 2nd snippet looks like it is using magic quotes? Is that what you’re using, or is that an artifact from something else?

sahilpaudel

sahilpaudel OP

Yes, but It working with Content-Type header only.

sahilpaudel

sahilpaudel OP

No, I am not using magic quotes just the code snippet is showing as magic quotes in this forum.

sahilpaudel

sahilpaudel OP

Can you please help me more like how should I approach.

Jacek

Jacek

Then you can’t use simple Poison.decode(body) since Poison expects string whereas what you pass in is its compressed version. Try to decompress it first, sth like :zlib.gunzip(body), however first you should probably check if the response includes the following header: Content-Encoding: gzip

sahilpaudel

sahilpaudel OP

okay, will try this out.

Content-Encoding: gzip is present

Thanks.

sahilpaudel

sahilpaudel OP

Thanks @Jacek,

It worked, just pasting the code below for future reference if someone get stuck here.

def make_request(path, params) do
    url = construct_url(path, params)
    headers = [
      {"Accept-Encoding","gzip, deflate"},{"Content-Type", "application/json"}
    ]

    case HTTPoison.get(url, headers) do
      {:ok, %HTTPoison.Response{status_code: 200, headers: resp_headers, body: body}} -> 
      
        resp_headers
          |> check_if_gzipped
          |> unzip_body(body)
          |> decode_body

      {:ok,  %HTTPoison.Response{status_code: status_code }} -> 
          {:error, status_code}
      {:error, error} -> {:error, error}
    end
  end

  def check_if_gzipped(headers) do
    Enum.any?(headers, fn (kv) ->
      case kv do
        {"Content-Encoding", "gzip"} -> true
        {"content-encoding", "gzip"} -> true
        {"Content-Encoding", "x-gzip"} -> true
        _ -> false
      end
    end)
  end

  def decode_body(body) do
    case Poison.decode(body) do
      {:ok, decoded} -> {:ok, decoded}
      {:error, error} ->{:error, error}
    end
  end

  def unzip_body(true, body), do: :zlib.gunzip(body)

  def unzip_body(false, body), do: body

  defp construct_url(path, params) do
    path <> params
  end
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews