joaquinalcerro

joaquinalcerro

Hi,

I am trying to start the observer in iex without success. This is my scenario:

Erlang/OTP 20 [erts-9.3] [source] [64-bit] [smp:4:4] [ds:4:4:10] [async-threads:10] [hipe] [kernel-poll:false]

[info] Running HcmWeb.Endpoint with Cowboy using http://0.0.0.0:4000
Interactive Elixir (1.6.4) - press Ctrl+C to exit (type h() ENTER for help)
iex(1)> 21:21:12 - info: compiling
21:21:13 - info: compiled 12 files into 2 files, copied 7 in 5.5 sec

Applications started:

iex(4)> Application.started_applications()
[
  {:hcm, 'hcm', '0.0.1'},
  {:phoenix_ecto, 'Integration between Phoenix & Ecto', '3.3.0'},
  {:postgrex, 'PostgreSQL driver for Elixir.', '0.13.5'},
  ........
  ........
  {:comeonin, 'Password hashing (bcrypt, pbkdf2_sha512) library for Elixir.\n',
   '3.2.0'},
  {:runtime_tools, 'RUNTIME_TOOLS', '1.12.5'},
  {:logger, 'logger', '1.6.4'},
  .........
  ]

Undefined:

iex(5)> :observer.start()
** (UndefinedFunctionError) function :observer.start/0 is undefined (module :observer is not available)
    :observer.start()
iex(5)> 

My mix file

  def application do
    [
      mod: {Hcm.Application, []},
      extra_applications: [
        :logger,
        :runtime_tools,
        :coherence,
        :number,
        :hackney,
        :poison,
        :ssl
      ]
    ]
  end

Not really sure what is happening.

Thanks for the help.

Showing Posts 1 to 5

idi527

idi527

You need to add :observer to the list of applications to start, probably.

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

How did you install Erlang? Some distributions breaks Erlang in multiple packages, so you need to make sure you have the observer one installed in your system.

joaquinalcerro

joaquinalcerro OP

I am using OpenSuSe Tumbleweed and I installed Erlang adding the Erlang Repo to the package manager then installing it directly.

zypper repos                                                                                                                                                                           1 ↵
Repository priorities are without effect. All enabled repositories share the same priority.

# | Alias               | Name                        | Enabled | GPG Check | Refresh
--+---------------------+-----------------------------+---------+-----------+--------
1 | PostgreSQL          | PostgreSQL                  | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | No     
2 | erlang              | erlang                      | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes    
3 | google              | google                      | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | No     
4 | openSUSE-20180308-0 | openSUSE-20180308-0         | No      | ----      | ----   
5 | repo-debug          | openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Debug   | No      | ----      | ----   
6 | repo-non-oss        | openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Non-Oss | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes    
7 | repo-oss            | openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Oss     | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes    
8 | repo-source         | openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Source  | No      | ----      | ----   
9 | repo-update         | openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Update  | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes    
------------------------------------------------------------

To install:

sudo zypper install erlang

Based on your suggestion, I check the repo for the observer package and it was not installed:

~ » zypper info erlang-observer
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...

Information for package erlang-observer:
----------------------------------------
Repository     : openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Oss                  
Name           : erlang-observer                          
Version        : 20.3.2-1.2                               
Arch           : x86_64                                   
Vendor         : openSUSE                                 
Installed Size : 1.1 MiB                                  
Installed      : No                                       
Status         : not installed                            
Source package : erlang-20.3.2-1.2.src                    
Summary        : A GUI tool for observing an erlang system
Description    :                                          
    The observer is gui frontend containing various tools to inspect a system.
    It displays system information, application structures, process information,
    ets or mnesia tables and a frontend for tracing with ttb.

------------------------------------------------------------

So I finally installed it and everything works fine.

sudo zypper install erlang-observer

Thanks. I didn’t expect that I had a partial Erlang installation.

Best regards.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

I think even the ‘official’ ErlangSolutions are deprecating their all-in-one package as I recall, so even officially it is broken up now.

hlalvesbr

hlalvesbr

I’ve had the same issue in Fedora 29. Just did:

# dnf install erlang-observer

Everything is ok now.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews