sw3dish

sw3dish

I am trying to use Alpine JS (3.13.2) with Phoenix 1.7.10, using dead views generated by mix phx.gen.html

In a file such as my_app/lib/my_app_web/controllers/example_html/index.html.heex, I can use x- attributes from Alpine, such as x-data on non-CoreComponents such as <button> or <div>, but cannot use them on CoreComponents such as <.icon>.

When writing <.icon name="hero-heart" x-init={~s(console.log("I am being initialized"\))} /> I receive a compilation warning:

warning: undefined attribute "x-init" for component MyAppWeb.CoreComponents.icon/1
  lib/my_app_web/controllers/example_html/index.html.heex:5: (file)

I have modified the following lines:

  • in lib/my_app_web/components/core_components.ex
    - use Phoenix.Component
    + use Phoenix.Component, global_prefixes: ["x-"]
    
  • in lib/my_app_web.ex
    def live_view do
       quote do
         use Phoenix.LiveView, 
           ...
           + global_prefixes: ["x-"]
          ...
       end
    end
    ...
    def live_component do
       quote do
         - use Phoenix.LiveComponent
         + use Phoenix.LiveComponent, global_prefixes: ["x-"]
       end
    end
    ...
    def html do
      quote do
        - use Phoenix.Component
        + use Phoenix.Component, global_prefixes: ["x-"]
        ...
      end
    end
    

I saw a closed issue on the Phoenix repo that states that global_prefixes must be set in the caller – but I’m not sure where I would add that in my lib/my_app_web/controllers/example_html.ex file which looks like this:

defmodule MyAppWeb.ExampleHTML do
  use MyAppWeb, :html

  alias MyApp.Examples.Example

  embed_templates "example_html/*"

  @doc """
  Renders a example form.
  """
  attr :changeset, Ecto.Changeset, required: true
  attr :action, :string, required: true

  def example_form(assigns)
end

Any help would be appreciated!

Showing Posts 1 to 2

sw3dish

sw3dish OP

Additionally, in phoenix_live_view/lib/phoenix_component.ex, it is stated that:

“By default, the following prefixes are supported:phx-, aria-, and data-.”

So, using Alpine’s .prefix method, I changed the prefix of Alpine directives to data-x- (Alpine.prefix("data-x-") in the hope that they would be accepted as an attribute prefix without me needing to use global_prefixes.

However, the data-x-init attribute still returns the following:

warning: undefined attribute "data-x-init" for component MyAppWeb.CoreComponents.icon/1
  lib/my_app_web/controllers/example_html/index.html.heex:5: (file)

So it seems to me that any attributes added to a use of a CoreComponents would be stripped?

(It’s also occurred to me that, in this case, I can just wrap the <.icon> in a <div>/etc.)

Kurisu

Kurisu

I think this issue is not related to Alpine JS attributes in particular. Try to use any other attribute than name and class (the ones declared in the icon component definition header) and you will get the same error.

For example

<.icon name="hero-heart" id="blabla" />
<.icon name="hero-heart" title="blabla" />

Will show the same warning because id or title are not declared.

So you have to extend the component so it takes more attributes. You can declare the specific ones you need (:"x-init") or just allow global attributes.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews