UmbertoCorponi

UmbertoCorponi

Hi all!

I’m quite a new entry in the elixir community, and coming from erlang i found an issue integrating a mixed erlang/elixir codebase.

When i compile elixir code calling an non-existing module

defmodule Xxx do

  def a() do
    DoesNotExists.b()
  end

end

a very useful warning is reported:

warning: DoesNotExists.b/0 is undefined (module DoesNotExists is not available or is yet to be defined)

This is very nice, since there is 99% chance of this being a typo.

I lately found out that mix is also more than happy to compile whatever src/*.erl files i have in my source tree, and this comes quite handy since i have to interact with a quite extensive codebase of libraries using erlang macro/record etc.

What i find odd is the fact that i don’t get the same kind of warning for the erlang code, so an erlang module like the following does not report anything wrong:

-module(xxx).

-export([a/0]).

a()->
  doesnotexists:b().

It is also true that this is not a warning that the erlang compiler will report,
but when using rebar3 i can just call rebar3 xref to perform a fast check, without involving unit tests or dialyzer.

Apparently mix xref does not offer of the shelf a way to perform such checks on erlang code, or if it does it is not clear from the documentation.

Is there a way to perform such validation on the codebase or the only option is to implement a mix task mimicking the rebar3 xref command?

Thanks!

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
peck
Hi everyone. My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews