Muco
Hello, I’m new to Elixir, I’m reading a book called Learning Functional Programming with Elixir I’m reading a subject of how Elixir data are immutable but when I just create a value in iex shell (Elixir (1.11.0) ) like this:
message = "Hello, World!!!"
display the above variable I get what I’m expecting but what I do not understand is, if I mutate the message variable there’s not an error.
message = "Hello!!!"
displaying again message variable I get no error and the output is Hello!!!
Please help me to understand what immutability means and how it works in Elixir
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 7- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
wanton7
What you doing is rebinding and it doesn’t break immutability. You are creating a new variable with same name that shadows the old one. This should explain it to you https://medium.com/everydayhero-engineering/elixir-variable-rebinding-342c5d0fd961
Muco
Thank you @wanton7
DanBunea
The answer from wanton7 is perfect, even though even for me it looked strange at first.
If you want to understand why immutability, the best explanation I found about immutability was Rich Hickey’s (he created Clojure and Datomic).
Muco
Thank you @DanBunea
mindriot
It can be slightly confusing because elixir allows rebinding identifiers. Immutability is as a result a bit closer to how strings behave in many popular languages (e.g. C#) where the value a variable name points to can change but the value itself cannot.
Every change to a value results in a new value and to keep track of it you need to bind it to a name, but the name can be reused while the value itself can’t be changed.
If you consider this JavaScript example:
Then following this in elixir you could do something conceptually similar to:
But you couldn’t do something conceptually similar to:
However another slight difference in this comparison is in elixir everything is passed by value, nothing is passed by reference so changes to what a name points to only impacts usage of that name going forward and never any previous usage of that name.
akash-akya
Not sure if this is helpful to you but this something which is easy to miss as a beginner.
You can compare the output for similar code in other language and see the difference.
Muco
Thanks @akash-akya