fireproofsocks
I’m using Dialyzer to check over some code that uses the mongodb package. I’ve got a function that abstracts the Mongo.insert_one/4 function and adds in some extra logging for certain conditions:
def insert(collection, args) do
case Mongo.insert_one(mongo_pid(), collection, args) do
{:ok, %Mongo.InsertOneResult{acknowledged: true, inserted_id: id}} ->
{:ok, %{"_id" => id}}
# Check for 11000 error (usually this means a duplicate)
{:error, %Mongo.WriteError{write_errors: [%{"code" => 11_000} | _]} = err} -> {:error, "Duplicate entry"}
{:error, err} -> {:error, err}
end
end
When I run dialyzer, I get the following error:
The pattern can never match the type.
Pattern:
{:error, _err = %Mongo.WriteError{:write_errors => [%{<<99, 111, 100, 101>> => 11000} | _]}}
Type:
:ok
| {:error,
%Mongo.Error{
:__exception__ => _,
:code => number(),
:host => binary(),
:message => binary()
}}
| {:ok,
%Mongo.InsertOneResult{
:acknowledged => false,
:inserted_id => nil | %BSON.ObjectId{:value => <<_::96>>}
}}
After looking at the mongodb source code I can see that it appears to miss a viable return type:
@type result(t) :: :ok | {:ok, t} | {:error, Mongo.Error.t()}
should be (I think) something like:
@type result(t) :: :ok | {:ok, t} | {:error, Mongo.Error.t()} | {:error, Mongo.WriteError.t()}
My questions are:
- Am I correct in thinking that the dialyzer error in my app is resulting from what appears to be an incorrect type definition in a dependency (
mongodbin this case)? - Apart from filing an issue, what are the ways to configure dialyzer to ignore that particular error in that specific place?
- Why doesn’t Dialyzer catch this problem in
mongodb? I cloned the repo, I fired up Dialyzer, and it shows no errors. Is that expected? Common?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 1- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
michallepicki
insert_onedoes not contain{:error, %Mongo.WriteError{}}in the return type. Whether theirresulttype should be updated or not, I’m not sure. Notice that I wrote{:error, %Mongo.WriteError{}}and not{:error, Mongo.WriteError.t()}- I checked and there is no@type tdefined in that module so it does not mean anything. This module got introduced in this commit and specs were not updated.@dialyzermodule attribute. If you usedialyxir, their README.md lists a few more ways to ignore warnings. To me, the ignore file with string matches seems to be the most commonly used way to do that.-Woverspecsoption. It is opt-in because it can introduce a lot of noise. Dialyzer has its limits and does not know how to deal with very complex types so it may sometimes “round up” some types to more general ones. I think Elixir’swithmay be sometimes confusing it as well? I’m not sure. Adding specs to private functions used may help it. But overall, Dialyzer doesn’t guarantee to find all problems in your code.