slogger

slogger

Hello Community!

My team has recently started using Elixir and Phoenix.
Im responsible for deploying our applications.
My main experience so far is with Javascript and Golang. I only have started working with Elixir in the last few weeks.

Im struggling to understand how environment variables are supposed to work in Elixir.
Im using Distillery to create my releases and am deploying them with Docker.

After much research (Googling!) it seems that config/runtime.exs is the place to put my environment variables.
Here is my runtime.exs

import Config

config :wb_iot,
  ecto_repos: [WB.IOT.Persistence.Repo]

config :wb_iot, WB.IOT.Persistence.Repo,
  database: System.get_env("DATABASE_NAME", "wb_iot"),
  username: System.get_env("DATABASE_USERNAME", "postgres"),
  password: System.get_env("DATABASE_PASSWORD", "postgres"),
  hostname: System.get_env("DATABASE_HOST_NAME", "localhost"),
  port: String.to_integer(System.get_env("DATABASE_PORT", "5432")),
  pool_size: 10,
  migration_timestamps: [type: :utc_datetime_usec]

config :broadway_kafka,
  hosts: System.get_env("KAFKA_HOSTS", "localhost:9092"),
  group_id: System.get_env("KAFKA_GROUP_ID", "wb_iot"),
  topics: [System.get_env("KAFKA_TOPICS", "message")]

config :redix,
  host: System.get_env("REDIS_HOST", "localhost"),
  port: String.to_integer(System.get_env("REDIS_PORT", "6379"))

I am accessing them in the modules as follows:

Application.get_env(:broadway_kafka, :hosts)

I then build my Docker image which completes successfully.
It doesnt seem like my environment variables are being picked up - even the defaults! - as the app crashes with the values being nil.

application_start_failure,wb_iot,{{shutdown,{failed_to_start_child,‘Elixir.Redix’,{‘EXIT’,{#{‘exception’ => true,‘struct’ => ‘Elixir.ArgumentError’,message => <<"expected an integer as the value of the :port option, got: nil">>}

Ive tried multiple variations, but I cant seem to get this to work.
Does Elixir manage this “per environment” config differently?

Thank you!

Showing Posts 1 to 2

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

I’m not sure Distillery even supports runtime.exs. At least the error you showed doesn’t match the code. String.to_integer can never return nil. I’d suggest using mix release unless you actually need hot code updates, which is imo the only reason one would be using distillery for today.

slogger

slogger OP

I will look at using mix release
I dont need hot code updates.
Thank you!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews