iamacube
![]()
I want to understand the reason of constructing an improper list usage in the elixir-plug repository, Line 256
First Question: Is the usage of an improper list necessary here?:
# encoder fallback
defp encode_pair(field, value, encoder) do
[field, ?= | encode_value(value, encoder)]
end
I think improper lists do not have many uses; also there are many functions that will error when given an improper list.
for example Dialyzer would raise a warning for constructing an improper list, and they got this -dialyzer({no_improper_lists, g/0}). to suppress the warning.
Second Question: why this construct actually exists in Erlang?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
benwilson512
I don’t think this does create an improper list. It’s a recursive function, and that function has termination clauses that return
[], which means it’ll construct a proper list.As to this:
I think it’s better to approach this by understanding that the
consoperator|is, at least in erlang, more foundational than even lists. Its most common use is with lists, but it has uses for low memory btrees, and gets use in IOlists as well.iamacube
Oh! i guess i was wrong about this! if it is not going to create an improper list why would dialyze raise these two warning to me for that function on line
255?where is the improper list that its getting warned about?
benwilson512
You might not be wrong about this function, it just isn’t super obvious to me that Dialyzer is right either. Either way, check out this line: plug/lib/plug/conn/query.ex at 274e44f9a149b922099bf60029d8267afe494968 · elixir-plug/plug · GitHub
The
encode_pairfunction is adefpand the output of that function is passed immediately toIO.iodata_to_binary.iodatais one of the real world uses for improper lists, because it reduces the overhead of building out a list front to back. Theiodata_to_binaryis able to handle improper lists and turn them into a single binary.Dialyzer warns about improper lists because most of the time you do indeed want to warn for them. If the Plug core team used dialyzer they would probably put a
no-warninvocation in there to tell dialyzer that this is intentional.iamacube
smart, it makes sense now! i will make sure to read more about
iodatathank you for your time.
sabiwara
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but while looking into this I also stumbled upon this issue which is relevant I think:
https://github.com/erlang/otp/issues/5937
The OTP team seems to be considering disabling these warnings, since there are legit use cases for improper lists:
[a | b]takes less memory than{a, b}