Ettu_R

Ettu_R

I have following simple test code to try how to send messages between process.

The way I understand my code is :

  1. I spawn 2 separate processes
  2. Processes are executing functions where they should be awaiting a message
  3. In parent process I send a message to each process
  4. Processes should receive them and IO.puts message

What is happening is that nothing is in output and it looks as though program is executing but nothings happening. I have to cntrl+C out of it.

What am I doing wrong?

defmodule Test do
    def startGame() do
        hValue = 1
        dValue = 2

        parent = self()
        hPID = spawn humanTurn(hValue, parent)
        dPID = spawn dealerTurn(dValue, parent)

        send(hPID, {:parent, dValue})
        send(dPID, {:parent, dValue})
    end

    def dealerTurn(dValue, parent) do
        receive do
            {:parent, msg} -> IO.puts(msg)
        end
    end

    def humanTurn(hValue, parent) do
        receive do
            {:parent, msg} -> IO.puts(msg)
        end
    end

end

Showing Posts 1 to 3

jepemo

jepemo

You need to pass a function to spawn:

...
hPID = spawn fn -> humanTurn(hValue, parent) end
dPID = spawn fn -> dealerTurn(dValue, parent) end
...

If you call spawn humanTurn(hValue, parent) you are executing the humanturn function before the “spawn” call, so it blocks in the first spawn

Ettu_R

Ettu_R OP

Thank you!
I got a step further :slight_smile:

Ettu_R

Ettu_R OP

´working now

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews