przemyxe0p

przemyxe0p

Hello
I am trying to understand types definitions in documentation https://hexdocs.pm/elixir/typespecs.html#built-in-types

Especially iolist() which is defined as

maybe_improper_list(byte() | binary() | iolist(), binary() | [])

I am not sure how to read pipe (|) and coma (,) in type definitions.

ChatGPT returned following:

:two: First Part: byte() | binary() | iolist()

This means each element in the list can be:

  • byte(): An integer from 0..255 (a single byte).
  • binary(): A binary string (<<...>>).
  • iolist(): Another iolist() (allowing nested lists).

:three: Second Part: binary() | []

This means the tail of the list can be either:

  • binary(): The list may end with a binary (improper list).
  • []: The list may end properly (normal list).

Which I’m not sure is true.
Please clarify

Showing Posts 1 to 7

fuelen

fuelen

This is true.
Improper list is a list where the tail is not an empty list.

# proper list:
iex(1)> [1, 2 | []]
[1, 2]

# improper list
iex(2)> [1, 2 | 3]
[1, 2 | 3]

| pipe means or. Think about maybe_improper_list as about function that returns a type, so it has 2 args and that’s why , comma is used.

przemyxe0p

przemyxe0p OP

So binary() | [] means that tail of the list can be binary() or []

maybe_improper_list(byte() | binary() | iolist(), binary() | [])

But if have such list I can pattern match it

[h | t] = list

so In tail I can have binary() or []
but in the same time t is like “rest of the list without first element”
and there could be elements like byte() binary() or iolist() is it because byte() binary() and iolist() are also binary() ?

garazdawi

garazdawi

Erlang Core Team

The second part describes the tail end of the entire list, not the tail of any list item. For example:

[1, 2, 3 | [] ]

In the above, the “First Part” in the type describes 1, 2, 3 and the “Second Part” describes only []. So in your example [h | t ], the type of t is the union of the “first part” and “second part” unless we know that it is the end of the list, then it is only the “second part”.

przemyxe0p

przemyxe0p OP

So in maybe_improper_list(byte() | binary() | iolist(), binary() | []), the second argument describes the tail, right? But in this context, the tail is just the last element of the list?

I took a deep dive into bitstrings, binaries, strings, and the rest, but now even though I know a lot, I’m still very confused. I watched a video, did Exercism, read documentation, but as you can see, I’m still asking questions.

Nevertheless, this is clarifying a lot:

The second part describes the tail end of the entire list, not the tail of any list item.

Based on that:

  1. iolist() must have [] or binary() as last element in it right? (String is UTF-8 encoded binary so it can be string to right?)
  2. last element can be binary() so it can be also byte()? is byte() just a binary() with 1 byte?
  3. Why there are type for byte() while it is just 1 byte binary() ?
garazdawi

garazdawi

Erlang Core Team
  1. Yes, a string is a subset of binary().
  2. A byte() is an integer between 0 and 255 inclusive, not a binary with a single byte.
  3. The byte() type is mostly used within lists, not within binaries.
przemyxe0p

przemyxe0p OP

Thanks, but when defining binary <<0,1,255>> aren’t we using byte() ? since it is 8 bit integer?

gregvaughn

gregvaughn

The binary “constructor” syntax, <<...>> accepts bytes, but it doesn’t produce a byte(). Try for yourself, see if <<0>> equals 0.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews