benonymus

benonymus

Hey,

Here is my little multi:

    case attrs do
      %{"default" => "true"} ->
        Multi.new()
        |> Multi.update_all(:set_default_to_false, VATType, set: [default: false])

      _ ->
        Multi.new()
    end
    |> Multi.update(:update_vat_type, VATType.changeset(vat_type, attrs))
    |> Multi.run(:no_default, fn repo, _ ->
      IO.inspect(get_by_id(vat_type.id))

      case repo.get_by(VATType, default: true) do
        %VATType{} = _vat_type ->
          {:ok, :present}

        x ->
          IO.inspect(x)
          {:error, VATType.changeset_error(:default, "no default", vat_type)}
      end
    end)
    |> Repo.transaction()

What confuses me is the following:
I update all the items’ default value to false, and then I update the current one as default, to ensure only one is default at any time.
When I get the item to do the check in the run, what state am I getting?
It is not the db, because in the db I am seeing true and here false.
But if I am setting from false to true I am still seeing false here.

Could someone shed some light on this?
The weird behavior happens once my update fails and I retry.

I thought that queries inside the multi return the state inside the multi, is this correct?
With this multi shouldn’t I be getting the result of the single update always?

EDIT:
If I explicitly omit the item in question from the update_all step then it works as expected.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

What’s the value in vat_type here? It’s read during the construction of the multi, before the update_all, so if attrs has %{"default" => "true"} but vat_type.default is already true then update_vat_type will be a no-op.

benonymus

benonymus OP

Yes, if I change the update to run and get the vat_type in there, after the update_all it is false and gets updated, instead of no-op.

Thank you

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews