tfwright

tfwright

Soon after updating our Oban mix spec to 2.21, an error report came in about a unexpected return from a Multi transaction involving an Oban insert. None of the changes had any errors so there was no immediately explanation what was causing the error in the App/Ecto logs, just the rollback. After dropping down to pg logs the error was clearly a bad/missing migration to Oban v14 schema, causing an outdated enum definition that was breaking the insert. Is that expected? Our expectation was that class of error would be surfaced in Oban’s query execution or insert return value.

Showing Posts 1 to 7

sorentwo

sorentwo

Oban Core Team

It’s expected because the changeset is valid, and it doesn’t know there’s anything wrong until it attempts to insert and a value is missing from the database enum. That’s unexpected, and something you should be able to identify in the test environment.

We’ve just added a migration verification step to help catch this automatically in tests/CI: Verify migrations at startup in testing mode · oban-bg/oban@6dbea1f · GitHub

tfwright

tfwright OP

Unfortunately I don’t think tests would have helped in our case. On further investigate, the migration actually did run, but we are running a multi-tenant system, and forgot to provide the prefix option. As a result, the public schema was at the correct version. It was only when the insert was executed with a non-public prefix did we run into a problem. Definitely not an Oban thing, we run into this issue in various aspects of the system, just part of the maintenance burden of trying to keep multiple schemas in sync. What would have helped us though is if the specific reason for the error had bubbled up to the transaction. That’s what usually happens when a particular schema is out of sync with public, causing an otherwise valid query to fail.

tfwright

tfwright OP

Did some digging, and I’m wondering if the issue could be related to the retry logic in Oban.Repo.transaction? It looks like that was added a while ago but we actually just upgraded from 2.17 all the way to 2.20 so that would explain why we only ran into this now. It seems like what might be happening here is that the original error (about the outdated schema) is being lost when the retries are exhausted, possibly related to the nested transaction?

sorentwo

sorentwo

Oban Core Team

The change doesn’t require you to run any tests, it automatically checks the migration status when the app starts with oban in a test mode. If you start oban for other prefixes, then it would catch the lack of a migration.

That’s possible, but the original error should bubble up after retry attempts are exhausted.

tfwright

tfwright OP

Not quite following you here. Change references testing mode, but in test env we load the db from a structure file which is based on public, so it wouldn’t have caught a migration issue specific to a tenant, as this was.

the original error should bubble up after retry attempts are exhausted.

If this is the case, then it wouldn’t have caused our issue at least. But in preliminary testing, it seems that in specific conditions this does not happen (inside Multi transaction): Addresses nested transaction losing error information by tfwright · Pull Request #1432 · oban-bg/oban · GitHub

What seems to be happening there is the expected Postgrex error (with specific message about error condition) mutates into a DBConnection error (without context)

sorentwo

sorentwo

Oban Core Team

No, I suppose it wouldn’t have caught the issue then.

This adds to the evidence that it’s better to use Repo.transact/1 rather than a multi, which have plenty of little edge-cases that can trip you up (not using the prefix passed to the transaction it’s ran in, for example).

tfwright

tfwright OP

If I am understanding the problem correctly (and I’m honestly not at 100% there) I don’t think Multi is at fault here. Repo.transact (and Repo.transaction) would have the same problem since they all share the same SQL transaction handling. It appears to mark the connection as failed and that is what triggers the rollback on next (or possibly final?) retry: db_connection/lib/db_connection.ex at 165ce62b9636ae56d4a0f0810c2aa3803b3cff1e · elixir-ecto/db_connection · GitHub

run/3 and transaction/3 can be nested multiple times. If a transaction is
rolled back or a nested transaction fun raises the transaction is marked as
failed. All calls except run/3, transaction/3, rollback/2, close/3 and
close!/3 will raise an exception inside a failed transaction until the outer
transaction call returns. All transaction/3 calls will return
{:error, :rollback} if the transaction failed or connection closed and
rollback/2 is not called for that transaction/3.

And some logs visualizing the transformation of the error. Looks like it does pass through until the final retry (also a short circuit probably would be preferable for this case, not sure if that’s practical though)

[Oban.Repo.transaction] attempt=1
[Oban.Repo.transaction] rescued error=Postgrex.Error message=ERROR 22P02 (invalid_text_representation) invalid input value for enum oban_job_state: “bogus”
*[Oban.Repo.transaction] attempt=2
[Oban.Repo.transaction] rescued error=DBConnection.ConnectionError message=transaction rolling back
[Oban.Repo.transaction] attempt=3
[Oban.Repo.transaction] rescued error=DBConnection.ConnectionError message=connection is closed because of an error, disconnect or timeout
[Oban.Repo.transaction] attempt=4
[Oban.Repo.transaction] rescued error=DBConnection.ConnectionError message=connection is closed because of an error, disconnect or timeout
[Oban.Repo.transaction] attempt=5
[Oban.Repo.transaction] rescued error=DBConnection.ConnectionError message=connection is closed because of an error, disconnect or timeout
[Oban.Repo.transaction] max retries reached, reraising
Expected exception Postgrex.Error but got DBConnection.ConnectionError (connection is closed because of an error, disconnect or timeout)

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews