cevado

cevado

I just published unidecode package to hex:

https://github.com/fcevado/unidecode

Unidecode was initially a perl module to transliterate unicode characters to ascii, then it became a widespread library throughout several languages(python, java, ruby, c#, rust). Everyone that already integrated with old systems know that it’s necessary pain.

I published a implementation with a simple approach, that only includes latin code charts. My idea is to gradually add all charts. Right know I’m on documenting/testing step. Basically its a very small application(needs to be added to extra_applications) that expose a simple api, Unidecode.unidecode/1 and Unidecode.decode/1, both do the same thing, receives a string and transliterate the chars that it knows. Why 2 functions that do the same? Perl and Python implementations exposes only unidecode/1 that supposedly is imported everywhere you need it(since rarely you will have a conflit with a function called unidecode). I added decode/1 just in case you dont want to import the function and want to call it refering to the module.

I want to ask that anyone that needs something like that, please take a look at the library, send suggestions on changes to improve it, I published on 0.0.1 and very raw material like that, to see what fits better the community need. :smiley:

Showing Posts 1 to 2

tallakt

tallakt

Hi. If youre interested you could have a look at codepagex… I wonder it it already does the same thing.

cevado

cevado OP

Hi @tallakt, actually it doesn’t. Convert encodings is a different task from transliteration. Let’s say I have the greek word Λάμ(β)δα, just converting encodings I would loose this data, transliteration looks for a way to represent this data meaningfully. So taking Λάμ(β)δα as an example a transliterated version should be Lam(b)da. In some sort of way it’s kinda a romanization, but avoiding special caracters in the latin script. So the character ç would be just c.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews