mat-hek

mat-hek

Membrane Core Team

Hello everyone,

pleased to announce Unifex, a tool that simplifies integrating elixir with C/C++. Unifex has been out for some time already but since v0.3 released today, it supports generating C nodes - lightweight programs acting as Erlang nodes. Though communication with NIFs is way faster than with separate nodes, a failing node doesn’t crash the entire VM, moreover, it can be supervised like a normal process. Unifex allows choosing between NIFs and C nodes at any point, even in runtime.

Approach

Here are some key facts about Unifex:

  • Native code is kept separate from elixir code
  • Native code doesn’t depend on erlang libraries, but on Unifex abstraction, that aims to be more user friendly than erlang APIs
  • Unifex works by generating boilerplate code in the compile-time, based on DSL in elixir
  • Unifex aims to support the intersection of sets of data types from Elixir and C
  • Unifex relies on Bundlex, our tool for compiling native code

Here’s how it looks like in short: firstly, you describe the interface with spec-like DSL:

module Example

interface [NIF, CNode]

spec foo(num :: int) :: {:ok :: label, answer :: int}

then you provide implementation:

#include "_generated/example.h"

UNIFEX_TERM foo(UnifexEnv* env, int num) {
  return foo_result_ok(env, num);
}

and finally, you use it either as NIF

defmodule Example do
  use Unifex.Loader
end
iex> Example.foo(10)
{:ok, 10}

or as CNode

iex> require Unifex.CNode
iex> {:ok, cnode} = Unifex.CNode.start_link(:example)
iex> Unifex.CNode.call(cnode, :foo, [10])
{:ok, 10}

A detailed description of how to place that in a Mix project can be found here.

Use cases

We’re using Unifex heavily at Membrane, mainly for wrapping some complex, stateful libs, and that’s where Unifex suits the most IMHO.

Status

Though we’ve been using Unifex for NIFs for some time, adding C nodes required lots of changes that are quite fresh. We’re validating them while developing Membrane ICE plugin.

Feedback and contributions are most welcome :wink:

Credits: @Feliks, @mickel8, @bblaszkow06, @mkaput, Software Mansion

Showing Posts 1 to 1

mat-hek

mat-hek OP

Membrane Core Team

Unifex v0.4.0 released :tada:

This version adds the ability to define custom types and use them in Unifex specs. For now, enums and structs are supported. Declaring them generates C enums and C structs, respectively, for example:

type position :: :manager | :developer | :intern | :product_owner

type personal_data :: %PersonalData{
  age: int,
  expirience: int,
  name: string
}

will generate

enum Position_t { MANAGER, DEVELOPER, INTERN, PRODUCT_OWNER };
typedef enum Position_t Position;

struct personal_data_t {
  int age;
  int expirience;
  char *name;
};
typedef struct personal_data_t personal_data;

and can be used like

spec get_salary(person :: personal_data, person_position :: position) ::
       {:ok :: label, salary :: int}
       | {:error :: label, :unemployed :: label}

Docs, GitHub

Credits go to @Feliks, thanks!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

restlessronin
The repo is at GitHub - cyberchitta/openai_ex: Community maintained Elixir library for OpenAI API · GitHub. Docs are at OpenaiEx User Gu...
152 12366 136
New
type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
type1fool
I just stumbled on a newly redesigned elixir-lang.org. :tada: It looks like @Software_Mansion did the work, and I think it is generally a...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews