papakay

papakay

I’m trying to unzip a .zip file to a specific folder path:

:zip.unzip(zip_path, {cwd: "/tmp/test-extracted/"})

** (SyntaxError) test.exs:18: syntax error before: cwd
    (elixir) lib/code.ex:677: Code.require_file/2

Please how can i extract to a specified folder?

Showing Posts 1 to 9

voughtdq

voughtdq

First, "/tmp/test-extracted" is a binary and Erlang mostly expects charlists. So binaries/strings will need to be converted to charlists first.

cwd = "/tmp/test-extracted/"
cwd = to_charlist(cwd)

Charlists can be represented by surrounding the string part with single quotes: 'charlist'. That can be easy to forget, so it’s better to use the sigil and do something like this: ~c'charlist'.

Second, Erlang opts are usually represented like this: [{:someopt, true}, :someotheropt, {:somethingelse, ~c'thing'}].

I haven’t tested, but this should be pretty close to the correct form:

:zip.unzip(zip_path, [{:cwd, ~c'/tmp/test-extracted/'}]) # also represented by [cwd: ~c'...']
papakay

papakay OP

Thanks immensely @voughtdq for this clear explanation.

I have tried it as mentioned but i got bad match error

case :zip.unzip(~c'priv/static/files/document.zip', [{:cwd, ~c'/tmp/test-extracted/'}]) do
      {:ok, content} ->
        IO.inspect content
      {:error, error} ->
        IO.inspect(error)
    end

The logged output is

{:EXIT,
 {:function_clause,
  [
    {:zip, :get_unzip_opt,
     [
       {:cwd, '/tmp/test-extracted/'},
       {:unzip_opts, #Function<21.81481102/2 in :zip.get_unzip_options/2>,
        #Function<26.81481102/2 in :zip.get_input/1>,
        #Function<22.81481102/1 in :zip.get_unzip_options/2>, [:raw],
        #Function<23.81481102/1 in :zip.get_unzip_options/2>, []}
     ], [file: 'zip.erl', line: 538]},
    {:zip, :do_unzip, 2, [file: 'zip.erl', line: 364]},
    {:zip, :unzip, 2, [file: 'zip.erl', line: 358]},
    {RecordBank.Modules.Import, :unzip, 0,
     [file: 'lib/record_bank/modules/import.ex', line: 5]},
    {:erl_eval, :do_apply, 6, [file: 'erl_eval.erl', line: 670]},
    {:elixir, :eval_forms, 4, [file: 'src/elixir.erl', line: 233]},
    {IEx.Evaluator, :handle_eval, 5, [file: 'lib/iex/evaluator.ex', line: 250]},
    {IEx.Evaluator, :do_eval, 3, [file: 'lib/iex/evaluator.ex', line: 230]},
    {IEx.Evaluator, :eval, 3, [file: 'lib/iex/evaluator.ex', line: 208]},
    {IEx.Evaluator, :loop, 1, [file: 'lib/iex/evaluator.ex', line: 94]},
    {IEx.Evaluator, :init, 4, [file: 'lib/iex/evaluator.ex', line: 24]},
    {:proc_lib, :init_p_do_apply, 3, [file: 'proc_lib.erl', line: 247]}
  ]}}

Please what could be wrong?

NobbZ

NobbZ

Similar code works for me:

iex(1)> :zip.unzip('zshrc.zip', [{:cwd, '~/tmp'}])
{:ok, ['~/tmp/.zshrc']}

Could you therefore please provie more information about your system, as which operating system you use, which OTP version, what tool originally created that zip file, etc.

papakay

papakay OP

Thanks immensely @NobbZ.

I’m on macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Erlang/OTP 20 [erts-9.3.1] [source] [64-bit] [smp:4:4] [ds:4:4:10] [async-threads:10] [hipe] [kernel-poll:false] [dtrace]

The zip was downloaded from linkedin following the attachment below

papakay

papakay OP

@NobbZ I forgot to also mention that the implementation is inside a Phoenix 1.3 application

papakay

papakay OP

@NobbZ and @voughtdq thanks immensely for your contributions.

It’s now working! The problem was with the initial trailing slash. I removed the trailing slash preceding the directory name as below and it worked.

case :zip.unzip(~c'priv/static/files/document.zip', [{:cwd, ~c'tmp/test-extracted/'}]) do
      {:ok, content} ->
        IO.inspect content
      {:error, error} ->
        IO.inspect(error)
    end
OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

That means you are now putting it in a tmp directory relative to cwd rather than in the root /tmp directory, is that intended?

papakay

papakay OP

Thanks immensely @OvermindDL1.

The actual folder structure is a phoenix app 1.3 structure + uploads folder.

My original intension is to extract the zip inside the uploads folder.

Without cwd option, it extracts the zip content directly in the app root folder which is not what i want.

Thanks so much.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Cool, thought so. :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews