jarvism

jarvism

Hello!
I have a LiveView that uploads a CSV, processes it with some information from external APIs, and creates a download.
To use the external APIs, I have to get a token. The token expires eventually, and I have code to catch the response and get a new token.
I’m really failing at adding the token to the state and making it available for future calls.
I know I could persist the token in a DB, but this seems a little heavy. I have been trying to add the token to socket assigns (so generally available in the app), but I can’t seem to make it work.
The user clicks a button, which starts handle_event(“process”). If one of the API calls fails a certain way, I have a def get_token() function that gets a new token.

defp get_token(base_url, api_key, socket) do
    IO.puts("GETTING TOKEN")

    get_token_task =
      Task.async(fn ->
        resp =
          Req.post!("#{base_url}/api/v1/1/prod/get_token", json: %{api_key: api_key})

        error = resp.body["err"]
        token = resp.body["resp"]["SecurityToken"]

        case error do
          error when error == true ->
            {:error, error}

          _ ->
            {:ok, token}
            IO.puts("TOKEN RECEIVED")
            ######################################
            # What am I supposed to do with it?
            ######################################
        end
      end)

    Task.await(get_token_task)
  end

Is there really no way to just add the token to assigns? I have tried every method I could find, including just assigning, {:noreply, assign(socket, token: token)}, send self() + handle_info()…
What’s the right way to do this?
It does not need to be inside the Task. I’m just returning the token now and passing that around. The problem is how to update the value from within a function.
Is there some other way to persist state in the LiveView that I don’t know about yet? I feel like I’m missing something pretty basic here!
Looking forward to other people’s input.
Thank you in advance!

Showing Posts 1 to 2

derek-zhou

derek-zhou

You need to keep in mind that:

  • All values are immutable
  • 2 processes share nothing, such as the LV process and the get_token_task

So you need to pass the pid of the LV process into the task, then send the token back as part of a message, then have a handle_info() at the LV process to update the socket.

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

The Task.await below will get the value returned by this code, which right now is the return value of IO.puts. You likely want:

          _ ->
            IO.puts("TOKEN RECEIVED")
            {:ok, token}

That way the Task.await receives the token.

I’d recommend keeping the “get a token” and “put that token into assigns” parts separate; having a side-effecting function named get_* seems odd. So you’d store the token into socket wherever is calling get_token.


Mostly-unrelated question: what’s the purpose of the Task.async followed immediately by a Task.await? Is it for the 5s timeout?

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews