EddTally
Hi,
I am currently having problems trying to update a nested map in a Schema since it doesn’t allow for Access behaviour I can’t just Kernel.put_in etc…
My Schema is as follows:
> %PhoenixApi.Schema.Test{
> __meta__: #Ecto.Schema.Metadata<:loaded, "test_table">,
> id: 1,
> delete: false,
> person: %{
> "city" => %{"55" => "London"},
> "name" => "john cena"
> "address" => "55 Test Drive"
> }
> }
I use get_test(id) to retrieve this information, but I would like to change the persons name and city before updating it/sending it back into my table.
This person is stored as a :map in the schema.
I know update needs a changeset to work, it’s how to make the changes in the changeset for Ecto.update and updating nested maps in structs is confusing me, sorry.
Thank you for reading.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
EddTally
I have created a workaround? method?
I pattern match out of the
get_test(id).old_person = get_test(id)%{id: id, delete: delete, person: person} = old_personnew_person = %{id: id, delete: delete, person: person}Then I can use:
new_person = Kernel.put_in(new_person, [:person, "name"], "New Name")because it is purely just a map now and not a Schema, then update row via the auto generated context function update_person:
by
update_person(old_person, new_person)and BAM it’s updated.
If anyone has any improvements I would love to hear them!
vfsoraki
You may also look into
embeds_oneto have your map treated as an embedded schema, with defined fields/changeset.As for what you’ve achieved, that what I would do for a bare map too.