slouchpie

slouchpie

@kip You might know if this is possible or not.

I have been experimenting with different ways of updating a balance field in the database that is of the usual Money type.

Consider this:

    Multi.update_all(
      multi,
      :wallet,
      fn _ ->
        from(w in Wallet,
          where: w.id == ^wallet_id,
          update: [inc: [balance: type(^amount, ^Money.Ecto.Composite.Type.cast_type())]]
        )
      end,
      []
    )

This results in an error:

     ** (Postgrex.Error) ERROR 42883 (undefined_function) operator does not exist: money_with_currency + money_with_currency
     
         query: UPDATE "wallets" AS w0 SET "balance" = w0."balance" + $1::money_with_currency WHERE (w0."id" = $2)
     
         hint: No operator matches the given name and argument types. You might need to add explicit type casts.

I have run the “aggregate functions for money” migration although I didn’t think it would help since this is +, not sum.

I think maybe this kind of syntax just isn’t possible? Can anyone confirm?

Showing Posts 1 to 6

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

I’ve just published ex_money_sql version 1.5.0 that adds support for the Postgres + operator for :money_with_currency types. I believe that will also support the query you described above.

To install the required functions in Postgres the readme now says:

Plus operator +

ex_money defines a migration generator which, when migrated to the database with mix ecto.migrate, supports the + operator for :money_with_currency columns. The steps are:

  1. Generate the migration by executing mix money.gen.postgres.plus_operator

  2. Migrate the database by executing mix ecto.migrate

  3. Formulate an Ecto query to use the + operator

  iex> q = Ecto.Query.select Item, [l], type(fragment("price + price"), l.price)
  #Ecto.Query<from l0 in Item, select: type(fragment("price + price"), l0.price)>
  iex> Repo.one q
  [debug] QUERY OK source="items" db=5.6ms queue=0.5ms
  SELECT price + price::money_with_currency FROM "items" AS l0 []
  #Money<:USD, 200>]

Let me know if you have any feedback and please file any bugs on the issue tracker.

12
Post #1
slouchpie

slouchpie OP

What amazing timing!
Thanks @kip . You’re genuinely an idol.
I’ll test that now and write the result here.
Update: I tried it for the use case described above and it works perfectly!

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

Good to hear! Was a fun Saturday morning puzzle for me. And always good to be reminded how amazing Postgres is!

gordoneliel

gordoneliel

@slouchpie @kip How were you able to integrate money into the update all inc statement? Have been trying for a while and can’t figure it out

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

ex_money_sql is the library that implements database support for Money.t types. After that, its Postgres (or MySQL potentially or some other database) that is doing all the work.

The + operator can be overloaded in Postgres and the implementation of that for a :money_with_currency type is here

slouchpie

slouchpie OP

Did you try the code in my OP?

I don’t have source code for it any more - we transitioned to eventsourcing (commanded lib) for our wallets stuff.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews