Qqwy

Qqwy

TypeCheck Core Team

Original source of discussion: This topic on the Pragmatic Programmers’ Functional Web Development with Elixir, OTP, and Phoenix forum.

In the (beta version of the) book, they update structs using Map.put/3. I’ve found myself doing the same in my own code. @hubertlepicki astutely observed that this opens up the opportunity for mistyped field names when updating your structs: This is totally allowed, the result of Map.put/3 will then be a map (instead of an instance of your struct).

Example:

iex> defmodule Foo do
iex>   defstruct bar: 1 , baz: 2
iex> end

iex> foo = %Foo{}
iex> foo |> Map.put(:qux, 4)
%{__struct__: Foo, bar: 1, baz: 2, qux: 4}  # <- note that it is printed as a map.

The other two methods known to me to update structs are:

  1. The special struct update syntax, %Foo{oldfoo | bar: 4}. This will result in a compile-time error when wrong field names are used. Drawback: It cannot be piped.
  2. put_in/2: newfoo = put_in(foo.bar, 4). This will also result in a compile-time error when a wrong field name is used. Drawback: It, too, cannot be piped.

put_in/3 (as in: newfoo = put_in(foo, [:bar], 4) would be able to be piped, but it is not available for structs; it only works on things that implement the Access protocol.

So what is the best way to update structs in practice? Am I missing any method in this list? Would it be a good idea to have a version of put_in that works on structs and is pipeable?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

NobbZ

NobbZ

The special Form %name{} pipes pretty well I think, you need to wrap in an anonymous funtion though):

iex(1)> defmodule S do
...(1)>   defstruct f: 0
...(1)> end
{:module, S, <<...>>, %S{f: 0}}
iex(2)> s = %S{}
%S{f: 0}
iex(3)> 1 |> (&%S{s | f: &1}).()
%S{f: 1}
iex(4)> s |> (&%S{&1 | f: &1.f + 5}).()
%S{f: 5}
11
Post #1
hubertlepicki

hubertlepicki

Yes, I raised the issue because I did waste some time on a stupid typo. Generally when I use struct, I want to have only defined fields. Otherwise I’d go with a Map.

But if you do use Map.put/3 on a struct, it works, yet not properly since I mistyped/used wrong key.

I agree that not being able to do it in pipe is not ideal. I found myself wrapping the update syntax in a tiny function/anonymous or othwerwise that does that for the very reason. I don’t know, maybe there is better way somehow so I’m listening too.

hubertlepicki

hubertlepicki

My eyes hurt. I do the same, but I die a bit every time I have to write it.

14
Post #3
NobbZ

NobbZ

In this post it was just for demonstrational purpose, usually I do it in a def(p)-ed function.

michalmuskala

michalmuskala

Erlang has :maps.update/3, which is basically the %{x | key => value} syntax as a function. I think having something similar in elixir would be beneficial. The biggest problem is the name.

hubertlepicki

hubertlepicki

How about something obvious like:

Struct.update/3 or Struct.put/3

wmnnd

wmnnd

You could also use Map.update!/3 which will pipe nicely and raise if the given key doesn’t exist, though not at compile-time.

michalmuskala

michalmuskala

We don’t have a Struct module - having it for just one-two functions feels wired.

hubertlepicki

hubertlepicki

I can accept @wmnnd’s solution of using Map.update!/3 however.

michalmuskala

michalmuskala

Yes, Map.update! is fine - if only you didn’t have to create a useless anonymous function. It’s awesome in many cases that Map.update! accepts a function, but not for this case.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews