Upgrade to webpack 5

Imagine you lived in a world where everyone massaged everyone’s ego because everyone was too sensitive to say what they really feel. Yeah, I hate webpack, Who fucking cares. And guess what, It’s possible to make bad software and it’s possible that software causes real pain for their users. Any good dev knows the first rule to good design is to be empathetic so if anything I’m doing the devs of Webpack a favor by not sugar-coating how painful the process currently is. That should be in its self an indication that more energy really should go to identify the problems they cause for their users otherwise they may not have users to care anymore. And if you are so sensitive that the mention of dislike persuades you from trying then boy you are in the wrong industry. Everyone will hit these points in their dev career, try to move past the small talk and not be so squishy.

Also in my context I’m not using the default Phoenix webpack config, because I like to chunk out my vendor and my app into separate files which is where I currently hit the wall. So your efforts will not be likely impacted by the issues I’ve identified.

10 Likes