rodrigues
I couldn’t find in ecto docs or elsewhere how to upgrade my instrumentation after telemetry.
Today I have the code below.
Do you know a guide that could help me with that upgrade? Or what would be the equivalent code with telemetry?
I still want to use the functions provided by my module MyApp.Statix.
Thanks!
config :my_app, MyApp.Repo,
loggers: [{Ecto.LogEntry, :log, []}, {MyApp.Statix.Repo, :log, []}],
# ...
defmodule MyApp.Statix.Repo do
import MyApp.Statix, only: [histogram: 3, increment: 3, tags: 1]
alias Ecto.LogEntry
@moduledoc "Provides Ecto Repo stats"
@query_time "db.query_exec_time"
@queue_time "db.query_queue_time"
@decode_time "db.query_decode_time"
@count "db.query_count"
def log(
%LogEntry{
query_time: query,
queue_time: queue,
decode_time: decode
} = entry
) do
with {:ok, tags} when is_list(tags) <- {:db, entry} |> tags(),
opts = [tags: tags],
:ok <- @query_time |> histogram((query || 0) + (queue || 0), opts),
:ok <- @queue_time |> histogram(queue || 0, opts),
:ok <- @decode_time |> histogram(decode || 0, opts),
:ok <- @count |> increment(1, opts) do
entry
end
end
end
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
GregMefford
As co-maintainer of Spandex, and specifically spandex_ecto, I’m also keenly interested in what the story is around Ecto and Telemetry in v3.0. I just spent about an hour looking through the
ecto,ecto_sql, andpostgrexsource code to figure out what the story was, and what I’ve found so far is:The
loggersoption seems to no longer be there on theEcto.Repoconfig (commit that removed it)The changelog and release announcement don’t list this as a breaking change, but rather a deprecation in favor of using
Telemetryinstead. I haven’t confirmed yet what happens if you specify theloggersoption like before. Maybe it still works?The
Ecto.Repodocs recommend that adapters send[:my_app, :repo, :query]Telemetry events, containing at least the data thatEcto.LogEntryused to send tologgers, but I’m not sure where to find the actual list of events that get sent and what the metadata will be. I am guessing that it’s currently only this, which is the same thing that you used to get from theloggerscall-backs. Maybe I missed something or the docs just need some clarification on where to go to find more details?Edit: Also,
caller_pidwas removed from theEcto.LogEntrystruct, so I’m not sure how to work around that inspandex_ecto.josevalim
To consume telemetry events, see Telemetry’s README.
For
MyApp.Repo, here is how would would do it:and then attach this module on your Application start callback:
I will make sure to improve the docs.
Regarding
caller_pid, it was also asked in the issues tracker here.hauleth
I am wondering, how it will work when I have multiple repos in single application? Will all be logged into the same
event_name? Also how to listen on all events of repo at once? Is there any solution for listening to multiple events at once? Like using prefix instead of full name?josevalim
The event name is based on the module name. So if you have
MyApp.AnotherRepo, it will be[:my_app, :another_repo, :query]. You can also configure the prefix in the repo.