lessless

lessless

Hey peeps,

I’m working on a daily journal bot for Slack that sends a reminder to all subscribed users to answer two questions at the beginning of their day.

For that, I need to uphold Slack API postMessage limits:

  • 1 direct message per second
  • 600 direct messages per workspace

I’m not really worried about the second limit - that would be an excellent problem to have, but it’s not going to crop in any time soon.

Two other considerations that adds another dimension of complexity:

  • Messages should go out only during working days
  • People should be able to adjust the time when they want to receive their messages
  • Messages should be delivered at most once per day

Here is how I picture a possible implementation

  • I’m considering separately storing the preferred message delivery time (or using the default 9 am).
  • Based on those settings I should schedule jobs for sending messages
  • All messages for a specific organisation should go through a designated queue so that I can uphold the 1 DM per second limit.

Those are general thoughts not grounded in what Oban can and can’t do, so I’d love to hear your opinion on how I can use Oban to meet those requirements (I reckon that I may require Oban Pro).

Best,
Yevhenii

Showing Posts 1 to 3

sorentwo

sorentwo

Oban Core Team

Thank you for moving this from the Oban repo’s issue tracker over to the forum; this is more fitting for advice and discussion.

That’s a good place to use a cron job that generates other jobs. Configure the job to run at midnight UTC, or at intervals throughout the day, and have it insert jobs for preferred message delivery times between then and the next cron interval, e.g. the next 24 hours.

Every queue adds some communication overheard, not to mention the organizational burden from managing them all. While it is possible to use Pro’s DynamicQueues plugin for this, or rig it with start_queue, I higly recommend using Pro’s partitioned rate limiting instead. That would look something like this:

local_limit: 30, rate_limit: [allowed: 1, period: 1, partition: [fields: [:args], keys: [:org_id]]]

That would allow delivering up to 30 concurrent messages while limiting executing to one job per second for a particular organization id.

Hope that helps!

lessless

lessless OP

Thanks for the reply!
After thinking a bit more about that option I found it to be quite complex in terms of edge cases and currently exploring another approach - calculating the kickoff time for the initial notification and then rescheduling it in 24hrs.

lessless

lessless OP

I’m currently trying to implement per-workspace rate limiting as you suggested and want to ask if it’s possible to observe the expected behavior in tests.

Problem Summary:

I want to insert two jobs, let Oban do its thing, and then see that only one was executed. However, drain_jobs show that both jobs were executed while it took 0.1s to run the test. This tells me I’m doing something wrong: %{cancelled: 0, completed: 2, discarded: 0, exhausted: 0, scheduled: 0}.

Interestingly, I tested the setup in the dev environment, and it seems to do the right thing. It’s just in the test environment where I’m encountering this issue.

Configuration:

My config.exs:

config :sesame, Oban,
  repo: Sesame.Repo,
  plugins: [Oban.Plugins.Pruner],
  engine: Oban.Pro.Engines.Smart,
  queues: [
    default: 10,
    daily_ritual: [
      local_limit: 30,
      rate_limit: [allowed: 1, period: 1, partition: [fields: [:args], keys: [:slack_team_id]]]
    ]
  ]

In tests I additionally set the testing mode to :manual:

config :sesame, Oban, testing: :manual

Test Code:

In my test:

defmodule Sesame.Model.NotificationsSchedulerTest do
  use Sesame.DataCase, async: false
  alias Sesame.Model.DailyRitualSubscription

  alias Sesame.Model.NotificationsScheduler.ObanScheduler, as: NotificationsScheduler

  defmodule NullWorker do
    use Oban.Pro.Worker, queue: :daily_ritual

    @impl Oban.Pro.Worker
    def process(_args) do
      :ok
    end
  end

  describe "schedule" do
    setup do
      start_supervised!({Oban, Application.fetch_env!(:sesame, Oban)})
      prod_scheduler_config = Application.get_env(:sesame, Sesame.Model.NotificationsScheduler.ObanScheduler)
      Application.put_env(:sesame, Sesame.Model.NotificationsScheduler.ObanScheduler, worker: NullWorker)

      on_exit(fn ->
        Application.put_env(:sesame, Sesame.Model.NotificationsScheduler.ObanScheduler, prod_scheduler_config)
      end)

      subscription = %DailyRitualSubscription{
        slack_profile_id: "a slack profile id",
        slack_team_id: "a slack team id",
        morning_ritual_commence_at: DateTime.utc_now(),
      }

      %{subscription: subscription}
    end

    test "throttles one worker per second", %{subscription: subscription} do
      NotificationsScheduler.schedule(subscription)
      NotificationsScheduler.schedule(subscription)

     drain_jobs(queue: :all) |> IO.inspect()
    end
  end
end

Sorry for the loaded setup - it’s not really relevant, but I decided to keep it to illustrate how NullWorker is injected.

Scheduler:

The NotificationScheduler is as simple as:

  defmodule ObanScheduler do
    def schedule(%DailyRitualSubscription{} = subscription) do
      Oban.insert(morning_ritual_worker(subscription))
      :ok
    end

    def morning_ritual_worker(subscription) do
      worker().new(%{
        slack_profile_id: subscription.slack_profile_id,
        slack_team_id: subscription.slack_team_id,
        kind: :morning_ritual,
        scheduled_at: subscription.morning_ritual_commence_at
      })
    end

    def worker() do
      Application.fetch_env!(:sesame, __MODULE__) |> Keyword.fetch!(:worker)
    end
  end

Could you please help me understand what I might be doing wrong, or how to achieve the expected rate-limiting behavior in my tests? Thank you!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews