user20230119
How can I upsert without creating an identity on Postgres? I want to check if a record exists with a combination of parent_id and name for some records, but I do not want to enforce it with Postgres.
postgres do
table "entities"
repo MyApp.Repo
references do
reference :children, index?: true, on_delete: :delete
reference :parent, index?: true, on_delete: :delete
end
# skip_identities [:parent_id_child_name]
end
identities do
identity :parent_id_child_name, [:parent_id, :name] do
# eager_check? true
# pre_check? true
end
end
actions do
defaults [:read]
create :upsert_data do
accept [:parent_id, :name, :data]
upsert? true
upsert_identity :parent_id_child_name
end
end
skip_identities cannot compile.
error: undefined function skip_identities/1 (there is no such import)`
eager_check? and pre_check? doesn’t update.
%Ash.Error.Changes.InvalidChanges{
fields: [:parent_id, :name],
message: "has already been taken",
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Latest Ash Threads
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
zachdaniel
It isn’t possible
Postgres requires a unique constraint to do an upsert. So you’d have to roll your own with application logic if you don’t want to have said unique constraint.
garrison
And you probably don’t want to do that either because IIRC the sort of “get or insert” semantics you would need to implement an upsert are literally impossible to achieve in Postgres outside of SERIALIZABLE. And even then I don’t believe it would be atomic (some transactions would just have to be retried).
(You can materialize the conflict onto another row/lock. I find this approach rather cursed, but I’ve had to do it in some cases - not upserts though, why fight the platform)
Is there any particular reason you are avoiding a constraint?
zachdaniel
Correct, you can also use an advisory lock to avoid having to lock some specific row as well. We had roughly the same conversation a while back
garrison
I remember!
Mostly just trying to warn the OP that this is not a path you want to head down unless you know what you’re doing because it’s fraught with footguns and using a unique constraint is so much easier.