owaisqayum

owaisqayum

I have a sample string

sentence = "Hello, world ... 123 *** ^%&*())^% %%:>"

From this string, I want to only keep the integers, characters, and spaces. For that, I have used String. replace like this

a = String.replace(sentence, ~r"[:_!@#$%^&*:|,./]", " ")

Here it’s replacing the second argument with the third one that is an empty space.

Is there any way that we can use String.replace and focus on what to keep rather than what to throw away.

Thanks

Showing Posts 1 to 9

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

In this case, the negation option for a character class will do what you want - ~r([^A-Z]) will match anything that isn’t A-Z (indicated by the leading ^.

Eiji

Eiji

@owaisqayum: You can use ^ (negation character) like:

sentence = "Hello, world ... 123 *** ^%&*())^% %%:>"
String.replace(sentence, ~r/[^0-9a-zA-Z ]/, " ")

Here is my another post with many helpful examples:

On pages for testing regular expressions you may find some references. For example here:

at the bottom of page you can search by not and you would have few interesting suggestions.

A CHARACTER NOT IN THE RANGE A-Z
[^a-z] Matches any characters except those in the range a-z.

/[^a-z]+/g
Anything but a-z.

owaisqayum

owaisqayum OP

Thank you for your valuable responses and I found out that just using the pin operator can reverse the whole scenario. For example, if we have a test case

Assertion with == failed
     code:  assert WordCount.count("co-operative") == expected
     left:  %{"co" => 1, "operative" => 1}
     right: %{"co-operative" => 1}
     stacktrace:
       test/word_count_test.exs:35: (test)```

here the word is co-operative and when I use the pin operator, it opts the "-" between the co-operative and which should be read as a single word. What is the better approach in this case?

Now the regex expression looks like 

String.replace(b, ~r([^a-z 0-9]), " ")

Thanks
kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

The regexs here aren’t going to work well with Unicode input, nor match digits that aren’t the indo-arabic set of 0..9. And likely have issues with signs and exponents. None of these may matter in your use case of course. But if they do, then my ex_cldr_numbers library can help. Use Cldr.Numbers.Parser.scan/2 and then filter as you wish.

Examples

# Scan a string in a locale-sensitive fashion and extract numbers
iex> Cldr.Number.Parser.scan "Hello, world ... 123 *** ^%&*()-72.5)^% %%: 123.00>"
["Hello, world ... ", 123, " *** ^%&*()", -72.5, ")^% %%: ", 123.0, ">"]

# Scan a string in a locale-sensitive fashion and extract numbers - in the "de" locale
# Note the use of the "," as the decimal separator
iex> Cldr.Number.Parser.scan "Hello, world ... 123 *** ^%&*()-72.5)^% %%: 123,00>", locale: "de"
["Hello, world ... ", 123, " *** ^%&*()", -72.5, ")^% %%: ", 123.0, ">"]
Eiji

Eiji

By default I’m going with really simple examples to not confuse people too much by providing more complex code samples.

If you are interested check what I have created here: regex101: build, test, and debug regex

I don’t know all edge-cases, but this one should work for you. If you have more requirements or have other questions about regular expressions please create a separate topic and feel free to ping me. :wink:

wolf4earth

wolf4earth

I know that test. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Let me guess, you’re doing the Word Count exercise on exercism, right? I’m a mentor there, so I recognized this immediately. :wink:

Well, then let me enlighten you, what you’re looking for - especially for the latter special case tests - are Unicode Categories. I could of course give you the working regex but then why do the exercise at all? :winking_face_with_tongue:

axelson

axelson

Scenic Core Team

Not super important but for clarity I’d like to point out that the caret character ^ is not the pin operator in this case, it is acting as a regex negation operator.

owaisqayum

owaisqayum OP

You are absolutely right … and i think its the best way to learn. Thanks for the enlightenment, really appreciated.

owaisqayum

owaisqayum OP

Thanks for the clarification, really appreciated

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
ausimian
Emily is an Elixir library that runs Nx computations on Apple’s MLX. Install it as the default Nx backend and Nx, defn, Axon, Nx.Serving,...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews