greghgradwell

greghgradwell

I’m just posting this info here, because I hadn’t found any other topics related to using USB hubs with the RPi0. @fhunleth helped with solve these issues via Slack, so I wanted to record them in case someone else had the same problem.

TLDR: Use the RPi system configuration instead of RPi0.

I was trying to use this USB Hub with Nerves. According to the manual, it would work with the Zero out of the box by commenting out the line dtoverlay=dwc2 in the config.txt file. I had confirmed that this was the case with a Zero running Raspbian (and a Pi3 running Nerves), so I tried using the RPi0 Nerves build with the modified config.txt file. This didn’t work, nor did making a bunch of other changes to this file and the cmdline.txt file. I figured I needed to get the serial port behaving correctly, but it just wouldn’t happen.

I’m sure most of you already know the answer, because it was clearly stated in the documentation :man_facepalming:t2:, which is to use the RPi system configuration instead of the RPi0. This places the USB port in “host” mode, as opposed to OTG, which is what I was trying to do with the config files, but clearly it’s not that simple.

In the end, the hub works great. It’s connected by pogo pins, so no additional power is required. And had I read the manuals, I would have been using it many hours ago. At least I learned how to modify the default configuration, which had seemed really scary before, but really wasn’t too bad thanks again to all the great documentation.

Side note, during all this I learned about the Nerves.Leds package, which proved to be really helpful in debugging the Pi0, as I could start blinking a heartbeat once my program had booted and was connected to my network.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews