julngomz
Alright, I am stuck on this problem.
I am trying to connect to the Raspberry Pie 4 via a USB to TTL Adapter. Specifically this one:
DSD TECH SH-U09C2 USB to TTL Adapter
Features:
- USB 2.0A Public Interface
- Built-in FTDI FT232 Chip
- Supports 1.8V, 3.3V, 5V TTL Levels
I am using picocom to attempt to connect to the raspberry pi 4.
Terminal Command:
picocom -b 115200 /dev/serial/by-id/usb-FTDI_FT232R_USB_UART_AG0JNTJ3-if00-port0
picocom v3.1
port is : /dev/serial/by-id/usb-FTDI_FT232R_USB_UART_AG0JNTJ3-if00-port0
flowcontrol : none
baudrate is : 115200
parity is : none
databits are : 8
stopbits are : 1
escape is : C-a
local echo is : no
noinit is : no
noreset is : no
hangup is : no
nolock is : no
send_cmd is : sz -vv
receive_cmd is : rz -vv -E
imap is :
omap is :
emap is : crcrlf,delbs,
logfile is : none
initstring : none
exit_after is : not set
exit is : no
Type [C-a] [C-h] to see available commands
Terminal ready
And it just hangs.
I have placed the default rpi4 erlinit.config into the overlay directory and changed the output to ttyS0 but it is not showing up in the final firmware build. What is displayed is tty1.
Any help is much appreciated.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
mayl
I don’t have any Nerves specific advice, but some basic general UART troubleshooting steps I go through (you may already know all this):
If all that is hooked up right, even if the UART baudrate and framing configuration is wrong you should at least get “non-printable” characters. If you do get characters out of the UART then great, you’re either done or just need to figure out your UART config. If you don’t, either you missed something above, something is broken, or the Pi really isn’t talking. Personally, my next troubleshooting step would involve an oscilloscope but I’m not sure if you have that available or not. Without an oscilloscope, I would double check all connections again, then hook the adapter up in a loopback (Tx to Rx) and send some bytes through it on it’s own to make sure that’s not broken. Assuming that all checks out, either the Pi has a hardware problem (unlikely) or there is an actual nerves configuration issue (which I don’t have any advice for).
jsimmonds2
Hi @julngomz
Which GPIO or physical pins on the RPi4B are you expecting a UART to operate on ?
I notice my RPi4B has both /dev/ttyAMA0 and /dev/ttyS0 ( the lower-spec UART )
Note that Elixir IEx runs usually on /dev/console mapped to physical pins 8 (TxD) and 10 (RxD)