harmon25

harmon25

Hi all,
Looking for some help setting up a nerves rpi3 kiosk using an asus touch screen

I am starting with this system - GitHub - nerves-web-kiosk/kiosk_system_rpi3: Nerves QtWebEngine Kiosk system for Raspberry Pi 3 · GitHub.

I have one problem, the display is oriented in portrait, I have it rotated correctly via display_rotate=1 in config.txt but the touch input is now off.

I was able to solve this with an x11 debian based system using the following command

xinput set-prop 'ILITEK ILITEK Multi-Touch' 'Coordinate Transformation Matrix' 0 1 0 -1 0 1 0 0 1

Here is a link to pretty much the same problem - solved in a similar way:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=205592

Any idea how I could go about solving this with a nerves system? Is it possible?

Thanks for the help!

EDIT:
This a similar thread,
https://forum.elixirforum.com/t/nerves-connecting-a-touch-screen

I am unsure how to apply that advice though…

Showing Posts 1 to 3

harmon25

harmon25 OP

I found more tips on a possible solution.
It requires setting some QT_ environment variables. I presume before building QT?

This is also similar, with a slightly different but promising option:

QT_QPA_GENERIC_PLUGINS=evdevtouch:/dev/input/eventX
QT_QPA_EVDEV_TOUCHSCREEN_PARAMETERS=/dev/input/eventX:rotate=0

EDIT:
Here is some related dmesg output from my nerves kiosk device

...
usb 1-1.2: new full-speed USB device number 4 using dwc_otg
usb 1-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=222a, idProduct=0045, bcdDevice= 0.02
usb 1-1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
usb 1-1.2: Product: ILITEK Multi-Touch
usb 1-1.2: Manufacturer: ILITEK
input: ILITEK ILITEK Multi-Touch Touchscreen as /devices/platform/soc/3f980000.usb/usb1/1-1/1-1.2/1-1.2:1.0/0003:222A:0045.0001/input/input0
hid-generic 0003:222A:0045.0001: input,hiddev96,hidraw0: USB HID v1.10 Device [ILITEK ILITEK Multi-Touch] on usb-3f980000.usb-1.2/input0
...
...
input: ILITEK ILITEK Multi-Touch as /devices/platform/soc/3f980000.usb/usb1/1-1/1-1.2/1-1.2:1.0/0003:222A:0045.0001/input/input8
hid-multitouch 0003:222A:0045.0001: input,hiddev96,hidraw0: USB HID v1.10 Device [ILITEK ILITEK Multi-Touch] on usb-3f980000.usb-1.2/input0
mobileoverlord

mobileoverlord

Co-author of Nerves

We used the kiosk_system_rpi3 Nerves system with Dell touch screen devices. The system has some generic support for USB touch screens enabled but getting QT (webengine_kiosk) to recognize the hot plug events for the USB touch screen required udev. There is room for improvement in this area, but here is an example of how we started udev as part of our application initialization. kiosk_system_rpi3/example/lib/example/application.ex at main · nerves-web-kiosk/kiosk_system_rpi3 · GitHub

harmon25

harmon25 OP

Thanks @mobileoverlord, I have been using the example app as reference, and the screen does work well by default!

My problem is operating the display vertically, I need to rotate the touch input.
I have come up with a solution that seems to work, albeit does not perform as well as the monitor in its default orientation…

I am running the following before launching the WebengineKiosk

 :os.cmd('udevd -d')
 :os.cmd('udevadm trigger --type=subsystems --action=add')
 :os.cmd('udevadm trigger --type=devices --action=add')
 :os.cmd('udevadm settle --timeout=30')

 System.put_env("QT_QPA_EVDEV_TOUCHSCREEN_PARAMETERS", "/dev/input/event0:rotate=270")
 System.put_env("QTWEBENGINE_CHROMIUM_FLAGS", "--disable-gpu")

QT_QPA_EGLFS_ROTATION

actually just rotates the display but has no impact on touch input, -90 is what i need based on the orientation of my display - might be able to rotate the display normally and just leverage the next step…

Rotating the display via config.txt - and tweaking the below parameter seems to have worked well!
This is the solution! woo :smile: QT_QPA_EVDEV_TOUCHSCREEN_PARAMETERS

event0 is the device name for my touch screen events, and setting rotate=270 gets the touch input oriented as needed

When not messing with the orientation and just having udevd enabled, the touch screen works very well. Things like swiping to scroll, and pinch to zoom are accurate. after tweaking the settings as above those functions are a bit shaky and the touch does not seem as responsive.

Here is a link to the relevant QT documentation:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews