sezaru

sezaru

I have the following list of apps in my extra_applications field in mix.exs:

  def application do
    [
      mod: {Core.Application, []},
      extra_applications: [:logger, :runtime_tools, :google_maps, :os_mon, :wx, :observer]
    ]
  end

This works great for local development, but, if I want to send it to my prod/dev servers, I need to always remove :wx and :observer because otherwise, the release will be generated with the beam linked to the wx libraries which the servers don’t have installed and it will crash the beam in some specific cases when trying to load the link.

So, considering that, is there some way to configure extra_applications so when I create a release the list will not have :wx and :observer in it?

Showing Posts 1 to 3

Eiji

Eiji

When generating a Phoenix application you have code like:

defmodule Example.MixProject do
  use Mix.Project

  def project do
    [
      app: :example,
      version: "0.1.0",
      elixir: "~> 1.14",
      elixirc_paths: elixirc_paths(Mix.env()),
      start_permanent: Mix.env() == :prod,
      aliases: aliases(),
      deps: deps()
    ]
  end

  # …

  # Specifies which paths to compile per environment.
  defp elixirc_paths(:test), do: ["lib", "test/support"]
  defp elixirc_paths(_), do: ["lib"]

  # …
end

You can use exactly same way in the application function, for example:

  def application do
    [
      mod: {Core.Application, []},
      extra_applications: extra_applications(Mix.env())
    ]
  end

  defp extra_applications(:prod), do: [:logger, :runtime_tools, :google_maps, :os_mon]
  defp extra_applications(_env), do: [:logger, :runtime_tools, :google_maps, :os_mon, :wx, :observer]

Note: It’s more rare, but I guess you may want to run prod with those applications sometimes. The alternative way would be to use an environment variable when compiling or generating release.

  def application do
    [
      mod: {Core.Application, []},
      extra_applications: extra_applications(Mix.env())
    ]
  end

  defp extra_applications(:prod) do
    env = System.get_env("MY_PROJECT_USE_WX", "false")
    extra_applications(env)
  end

  # dev, test and custom envs …
  defp extra_applications(env) when is_atom(env) do
    extra_applications("true")
  end

  defp extra_applications("true"), do: [:logger, :runtime_tools, :google_maps, :os_mon, :wx, :observer]
  defp extra_applications(_env), do: [:logger, :runtime_tools, :google_maps, :os_mon]

In both ways you don’t have to change the way you generate releases, but in case you want a prod env with wx run:

$ MIX_ENV="prod" MY_PROJECT_USE_WX="true" iex -S mix phx.server
# or 
$ MY_PROJECT_USE_WX="true" iex -S mix phx.gen.release
sezaru

sezaru OP

Oh, damn, I totally forgot about using Mix.env() here, kinda dumb from my part since I use it already in other parts of my mix.exs haha :sweat_smile:.

Thanks for reminding me of that, worked like a charm :smiley:

Eiji

Eiji

Not really, it’s not something every developer write on their own often enough to remember. There are lots of simple aspects of Erlang and Elixir that many developers are not aware of or just don’t remember. Fixing a bug in a good quality code is usually simple as you just have to create a minimal reproduction code, sometimes check the docs and that’s how you remind things.

This code is generated from mix phx.new task, so it’s not your fault you forget about it. Nobody is responsible to remember all functions. Since we talk in public topic it’s also worth to remind others that in configuration files they should use config_env (available after importing Config module) instead as mix application does not have to be available in every prod server.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews