ndrean

ndrean

In the Dockyard extract paper below, Sean Moriarty explains that Bumblebee uses FFMPEG.

I see (here and there) that you can use the native GPU with FFmpeg on OSX, with something like h264_videotoolbox.
Is there a way to compile FFmpeg for OSX or parametrise Bumblebee to ensure that the GPU is used on OSX?
I understand this is the case for linux or Windows. In which way should we take this into account when using a Docker image (say Debian based)?

Thanks to Bumblebee (and Paulo Valente and Jonatan Kłosko), you can use Whisper directly from Elixir. You’ll need to start by installing Bumblebee, Nx, and EXLA all from the main branch. Additionally, if you don’t want to design an audio-processing pipeline using Membrane or another multimedia framework, you’ll need to install ffmpeg. Bumblebee uses ffmpeg under the hood to process audio files into tensors.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

jonatanklosko

jonatanklosko

Creator of Livebook

You can get the ffmpeg call from here, customize it or replace with anything else and pass the resulting tensor to the serving.

ndrean

ndrean OP

Thanks @jonatanklosko .
Is it worth considering compiling your own FFmpeg?

jonatanklosko

jonatanklosko

Creator of Livebook

It would be nice to have a package with NIF bindings to ffmpeg and precompiled binaries, so that we don’t rely on the global installation, if that’s what you mean. I don’t think that exists currently, and it’s not a priority : )

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews