xenolf
Greetings all!
I would like to implement user defined sorting in my Ash application. When I did this in the past I would use a query like the following in postgres:
SELECT * FROM list_item
JOIN unnest('{1,2,3}'::int[])
WITH ORDINALITY t(id, ord) USING (id)
ORDER BY t.ord
Now to implement this in an Ash application I came up with the idea to define an array attribute of type uuid on my “list” resource which would contain the order of the “list_item” IDs that should be in the unnest call in the query above. “list” and “list_item” are in a one_to_many relationship.
I’m a bit confused though where the above query would fit into the framework. Would that be a manual relationship or something else entirely? Maybe there is even a better way of doing what I want to achieve that I’m unaware of.
Thank you for your help!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
zachdaniel
This is an interesting use case
At the moment, to add that join statement your only option would be to use a relatively heavy handed escape hatch called
modify_query, which allows you to modify the underlying data layer query. It would look something like this:You can then follow this guide here on writing the relevant ecto query:
This is an example of a good reason to use an escape hatch like this, however what we would ideally be able to do is apply this to any given query, instead of having to having this
modify_querytied to the action. This would be a case for supporting a hook onAsh.Querycalledmodify_query, something like this:so you can attach that conditionally in a global preparation, instead of having to do it in the action.
xenolf
Thank you that worked very well!
Is it also possible to use modify_query in a manual relationship? It would feel more natural to me if I could load the ordered items directly from a “list” resource without going the additional step of loading it from the “list_item” resource.
zachdaniel
In a manual relationship you’d need to apply this kind of logic yourself.
AshPostgresgives you tools to define joinable manual relationships. I’m not sure if this is exactly what you’re after, but it may be what you’re looking for: https://hexdocs.pm/ash_postgres/join-manual-relationships.htmlxenolf
I see, thank you very much for the pointers!