mattei

mattei

Hi, newcomer to Phoenix and Elixir here, moving over from Django and REST Framework.

Say I have a login function like this…

  def login(conn, %{"username" => username, "password" => password}) do
    ...
  end

If I input the correct parameters, the pattern matching works and the function is accessed just fine. However, if I miss a parameter, it does not find the function, and returns a rather ugly error:

    ** (Phoenix.ActionClauseError) no function clause matching in AuthController.login/2

In production, it simply returns a 400 Bad Request, which is the appropriate error code for this.

However, in something like Django REST Framework the function would return a friendly error detailing which fields are missing, for example:

{
"username": "This field is required."
... etc
}

I was wondering if there’s a way to add friendly field validation errors like this to Phoenix controller functions? It’d improve user experience for API development.

Thanks all!

Showing Posts 1 to 3

thojanssens1

thojanssens1

You have to use Ecto.Changeset. Do you know about it?

mattei

mattei OP

I do, but what I’m using isn’t to be inserted to the database, it’s just a login view. Is there a way to use Ecto to validate incoming parameters, even if you’re not using them for database stuff?

EDIT: Oh shoot, I just found this, and it looks perfect: GitHub - vic/params: Easy parameters validation/casting with Ecto.Schema, akin to Rails' strong parameters. · GitHub
I had no idea you can use regular Ecto schemas as “serializers” to validate any data, even non-database input.

EDIT 2: Whoa, thanks for pointing me in the right direction! Turns out this can be done with vanilla Ecto.Changesets, you can use them schemaless to validate any data (they don’t hit the database until they touch a repo). This is brilliant!

Here’s the end solution.

  1. Create a schemaless changeset to validate the input parameters.
  def login_changeset(params) do
    types = %{username: :string, password: :string}

    {%{}, types}
    |> cast(params, Map.keys(types))
    |> validate_required(:username)
    |> validate_required(:password)
  end
  1. Validate the schema in the controller, making sure to return {:error, changeset} to your FallbackController.
  def login(conn, params) do
    changeset = Accounts.User.login_changeset(params)

    if changeset.valid? do
      %{:username => username, :password => password} = changeset

      case Accounts.authenticate_user(username, password) do
        {:ok, user} ->
          {:ok, jwt, _full_claims} = Guardian.encode_and_sign(user, :api)
          render(conn, "token.json", user, jwt)

        {:error, _reason} ->
          conn
          |> put_status(401)
          |> render("error.json")
      end
    else
      {:error, changeset}
    end
  end

  1. Voila! Your controllers return friendly errors:
HTTP/1.1 422 Unprocessable Entity
cache-control: max-age=0, private, must-revalidate
connection: close
content-length: 116
content-type: application/json; charset=utf-8
date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 23:20:57 GMT
server: Cowboy
x-request-id: Fof5FK1SQzCkJR8AABFD

{
  "errors": {
    "password": [
      "can't be blank"
    ],
    "username": [
      "can't be blank"
    ]
  }
}

I’m so happy right now :slight_smile: This is actually more straightforward than DRF serializers.

Thanks y’all!

leather-s

leather-s

Here is a native Phoenix solution. You cast with types, then validate.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews