coen.bakker
I have a hobby project that I deploy on fly.io since recently.
When I check the logs (with flyctl logs) I can see passwords of users (only me actually currently) as part of socket messages.
For example:
Last message: %Phoenix.Socket.Message{topic: "lv:phx-F6LyLij5Vszh4gGx", event: "event", payload: %{"event" => "save", "type" => "form", "value" => "_csrf_token=OVJ*****UD&user%5Bemail%5D=testemail%40gmail.com&user%5Bpassword%5D=password1234"}, ref: "21", join_ref: "4"}
The purpose of this hobby project is to get familiar with deploying and potential pitfalls. How do I safely handle messaging the passwords? I am using phx_gen_auth in a recently generated LiveView app ([{:phoenix, "~> 1.7.7"}, {:phoenix_live_view, "~> 0.19.0"}])
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
dacello
What is your logger config set to? Generally
config/prod.exshas something like:And I would assume that the socket messages would only be getting logged at the
consolelevelcoen.bakker
Yes, just checked.
A sanity check: It is not normal to be able to see passwords in production logs, I reckon? I’m using all the default settings of phx.gen and fly.io. So that’s why I was surprised to find the passwords.
kokolegorille
Do You know about the redact attribute? It might help…
coen.bakker
I know it from the code generated by phx_gen_auth.
kokolegorille
ok, I thought it would help, but if it is already set…
coen.bakker
Thanks
.
Some other thoughts.
I know passwords get hashed on the server with phx_gen_auth. And it requires the original password to make the hash. And the password needs to be sent to the server somehow; in this case over the socket connection.
So it seems like the right configs are crucial for not exposing passwords to devs. Seems like an easily corruptible model. But maybe that’s just how it is?
I’m still in the process of checking out
powand alternatives, to eventually make a choice for an auth model. So maybe I’ll find some answers along the way…