panchog
Hello – Elixir newbee here.
Today I’ve learned about the user-switch-command (IEx — IEx v1.20.2), and doing an s iex fails with an error message mentioning set_unicode_state
On the same session, doing an s shell opens an additional Erlang shell, and it works without issue.
Here are all the details from my session (I am on macOS 15.5)
elixir
1.10.2-otp-22
1.18.4
*1.18.4-otp-28
erlang
*28.0.1
➜ iex
Erlang/OTP 28 [erts-16.0.1] [source] [64-bit] [smp:6:6] [ds:6:6:10] [async-threads:1]
Interactive Elixir (1.18.4) - press Ctrl+C to exit (type h() ENTER for help)
iex(1)> d = Date.utc_today
~D[2025-06-30]
iex(2)> d
~D[2025-06-30]
iex(3)>
User switch command (enter 'h' for help)
--> s
--> j
1 {iex,start,[[{dot_iex,nil},{on_eof,halt}],{elixir,start_cli,[]}]}
2* {shell,start,[]}
--> c
Eshell V16.0.1 (press Ctrl+G to abort, type help(). for help)
1> d.
d
2>
User switch command (enter 'h' for help)
--> c 1
iex(3)> d
~D[2025-06-30]
iex(4)>
User switch command (enter 'h' for help)
--> s iex
--> j
1 {iex,start,[[{dot_iex,nil},{on_eof,halt}],{elixir,start_cli,[]}]}
2 {shell,start,[]}
3* {iex,start,[]}
--> c
{unknown,{<0.66.0>,set_unicode_state,true}}
Interactive Elixir (1.18.4) - press Ctrl+C to exit (type h() ENTER for help)
*** ERROR: Shell process terminated! (^G to start new job) ***
14:06:11.669 [error] :gen_statem #PID<0.110.0> terminating
** (MatchError) no match of right hand side value: {#PID<0.66.0>, :set_unicode_state, true}
(kernel 10.3.1) group.erl:530: :group.handle_info/3
(stdlib 7.0.1) gen_statem.erl:3748: :gen_statem.loop_state_callback/11
(stdlib 7.0.1) proc_lib.erl:333: :proc_lib.init_p_do_apply/3
Process Label: {:group, {:iex, :start, []}}
Queue: [info: {#PID<0.66.0>, :set_unicode_state, true}]
Postponed: [info: {#PID<0.66.0>, :activate}]
State: {:server, {:state, :binary, #PID<0.66.0>, true, :none, false, #PID<0.111.0>, :cooked, [], true, &:edlin_expand.expand/2, true, {[], []}, [], :undefined}}
Callback mode: :state_functions, state_enter: false
14:06:11.677 [error] Process #PID<0.111.0> raised an exception
** (ErlangError) Erlang error: :terminated:
* 1st argument: the device has terminated
(stdlib 7.0.1) io.erl:202: :io.put_chars(:standard_io, ["Interactive Elixir (1.18.4) - press Ctrl+C to exit (type h() ENTER for help)", 10])
(iex 1.18.4) lib/iex/server.ex:86: IEx.Server.run_without_registration/3
User switch command (enter 'h' for help)
--> j
1 {iex,start,[[{dot_iex,nil},{on_eof,halt}],{elixir,start_cli,[]}]}
2 {shell,start,[]}
--> c 1
iex(4)>
User switch command (enter 'h' for help)
--> c 2
2> d.
d
3>
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










