statsdatacode
Question
Is it possible to use a calculation in the grouping for an aggregate?
Problem
I am attempting to group by a calculated value within an aggregate. Specifically calculating the sum of a field value for each type_name by calendar date.
I have attempted to define the aggregate within the resource as well as within the query and am unable to get any further with this.
Example:
Example resource:
defmodule Example.TimeSeriesResource do
use Ash.Resource,
data_layer: AshPostgres.DataLayer
postgres do
table "type_values"
repo Example.Repo
end
attributes do
integer_primary_key :id
attribute :date_time, :datetime do
allow_nil? false
end
attribute :type_name, :string do
allow_nil? false
end
attribute :value, :float do
allow_nil? false
end
end
calculations do
calculate :calendar_date, :date, expr(type(:date_time, :date))
end
end
If I define an aggregate within the resource, such as:
aggregates do
sum :total_value, [:calendar_date, :type_name], :value
end
this fails to compile, returning the following explanation in the compilation error:
aggregates -> total_value:
relationship referenced in aggregate `Example.TimeSeriesResource.calendar_date` does not exist
When I have attempted to use a custom aggregate in the query, such as:
query = Example.TimeSeriesResource
|> Ash.Query.for_read(:read)
|> Ash.Query.load(:calendar_date)
|> Ash.Query.aggregate(:value, :sum, [:calendar_date, :type_name])
I get the following error:
** (ArgumentError) `nil` is not a Spark DSL module.
nil.entities([:actions])
(spark 1.1.54) lib/spark/dsl/extension.ex:171: Spark.Dsl.Extension.get_entities/2
(ash 2.18.2) lib/ash/resource/info.ex:553: Ash.Resource.Info.primary_action/2
(ash 2.18.2) lib/ash/resource/info.ex:539: Ash.Resource.Info.primary_action!/2
(ash 2.18.2) lib/ash/query/query.ex:2030: Ash.Query.aggregate/14
where the stacktrace shows an attempt to call Ash.Query.aggregate/14 rather than the expected Ash.Query.aggregate/4.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
zachdaniel
Ash does not support grouping aggregates currently. Aggregates are “per-record”. To do grouping you’ll need to use Ecto.
Example.TimeSeriesResourceis an ecto schema automatically, so you can directly query it. Additionally, you can turn an ash query into the relevant ecto query:statsdatacode
Thanks @zachdaniel - I’ll give that a go