pillaiindu

pillaiindu

These two work:

iex(1)> for {key, val} <- %{"a" => 1, "b" => 2}, do: {key, val * val} 
[{"a", 1}, {"b", 4}]
iex(2)> for {key, val} <- %{"a" => 1, "b" => 2}, into: %{}, do: {key, val * val} 
%{"a" => 1, "b" => 4}

But this one gives syntax error:

iex(3)> for {key, val} <- %{"a" => 1, "b" => 2}, do: %{key, val * val}            
** (SyntaxError) iex:3:62: syntax error before: '}'
    |
  3 | for {key, val} <- %{"a" => 1, "b" => 2}, do: %{key, val * val} 
    |                                                              ^

Why?
Why can’t we use map directly after the do: in list-comprehensions?

Showing Posts 1 to 8

Kurisu

Kurisu

I think you have a synthax error on the way you’re trying to define the map. It is not about the for or do.

One way you could achieve the map definition would be :

%{“#{key}”: val * val}

or

%{“#{key}” => val * val}

eksperimental

eksperimental

Exactly, the first one works because what he is defining is a tuple, not a map.

pillaiindu

pillaiindu OP

Yes, it’s a tuple not a map, and not even a tuple, because tuple doesn’t have %{. :slight_smile:

I did it accidentally and it took time to catch the mistake. I wanted to see if someone else can catch the mistake, because the error message doesn’t specifically point it out.

%{"#{ isn’t even needed, using key directly works.

for {key, val} <- %{"a" => 1, "b" => 2}, do: %{key => val * val} works.

msimonborg

msimonborg

Your map syntax itself is invalid

iex(1)> {"a", 1} # valid tuple syntax
{"a", 1}

iex(2)> %{"a" => 1} # valid map syntax
%{"a" => 1}

iex(3)> %{"a", 1} # invalid
** (SyntaxError) iex:3:6: syntax error before: ','
    |
 30 | %{"a", 1}
    |      ^

Kurisu

Kurisu

Ah you’re right ! ^^
No string interpolation is necessary indeed.

I tought it won’t work for map with atom keys, but it also works as well:

iex(1)> key = :a
:a
iex(2)> %{key => 1}               
%{a: 1}
iex(3)>
03juan

03juan

It’s interesting that the first syntax error points to the end of the malformed map, but the second one to the correct place, at the comma. Perhaps a bug because of the for comprehension?

msimonborg

msimonborg

Due to the for comprehension, yes, but I would hesitate to label it a bug. for is a macro, and the code is being received as quoted expressions. I’ve written macros but my knowledge is not very deep to understand error handling and introspection. The pointer seems to be pointing more generally to the offending expression, maybe because of how these details are implemented

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Maps are valid returns for for, unless into: %{} is supplied as well. So it’s tricky.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews