Rich_Morin

Rich_Morin

The Raspberry Pi pico seems like a very nifty platform for the sorts of IoT projects I’d like to play with. However, it doesn’t run Linux, so it doesn’t seem like a Nerves port is in the cards.

That said, I wonder if it might be possible to support a lightweight version of Nerves and the Erlang VM on the pico. This might let folks take advantage of the Nerves tool chain and the Actor approach to programming distributed systems. It might even encourage some pico users to look into using Nerves. Comments? (ducks).

-r

Showing Posts 1 to 7

fhunleth

fhunleth

Co-author of Nerves

The Nerves core team is focused on microprocessor-based embedded devices, so supporting a Cortex-M0 device is not something that we’d take on. That’s not to say that what you propose wouldn’t be interesting.

The two routes I know that might support the Pico are:

  1. Porting AtomVM which is a small BEAM bytecode interpreter
  2. Using Lumen to compile Elixir to machine code.
Sebb

Sebb

The RPi Pico is based on the RP2040-Microcontroller, which is a Cortex-M0+. While its the biggest M0 I know of (lots of RAM, Flash, MHz) its still a very limited design, most notably: it has no FPU.

The most lightweight option AtomVM offers is a STM32F4 which is a Cortex-M4 with FPU.

https://github.com/bettio/AtomVM/blob/master/README.STM32.Md

Maybe they can go smaller? But M0 - doubtful!? If its possible this would be indeed a great opportunity and I’m sure the AtomVM-team will take it.

see here for a comparison (Table “ARM Cortex-M instruction variations”)

You should have a look at https://www.grisp.org/ if you are interested in BEAM on smaller platforms.

EDIT: Just found this: https://community.arm.com/developer/ip-products/processors/b/processors-ip-blog/posts/is-cortex-m4-the-strongest

Rich_Morin

Rich_Morin OP

PJUllrich

PJUllrich

Author of Building Table Views with Phoenix LiveView

Hey folks, sorry to resurrect this thread, but it appears that AtomVM now supports the Raspberry Pi Pico: Getting Started Guide — AtomVM 0.7.0-dev+git.f42fb232 documentation

Does this mean that Nerves might support the the Pico as well?

lawik

lawik

Nerves Core Team

No, it means you can run Elixir on the Pico via AtomVM. You might be able to pull some Nerves libraries in but if they rely on anything from Linux you are out of luck.

I haven’t looked but I would assume there isn’t a regular network stack in AtomVM.

I think we will explore shipping AtomVM builds to microcontrollers such as the Pi using NervesHub. But I would be very surprised if Nerves gets adapted to the point that it will run on the Pico.

D4no0

D4no0

If you read what actually AtomVM does:

AtomVM implements from scratch a minimal Erlang VM that supports a subset of ErlangVM features and that is able to run unmodified BEAM binaries on really small systems like MCUs.

This implies that a lot of features of the VM we use and love might be not present or work differently, so I can bet that even native functionalities from OTP (like :tcp) might not work at all.

I would go ahead and safely assume that integration with nerves is impossible and it might be subject to undefined behavior as some core things we imply about the VM might not be true anymore.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Maybe it should be highlighted that even while we talk about nerves as an elixir project a lot of nerves is wrapping an elixir release in a linux system and making that a shippable unit + elixir libraries to help integrate with that linux OS. Remove the linux part and the question becomes what nerves is supposed to bring to the table in the first place. The atom vm would basically be the counterpart to both the linux os and the beam vm on a nerves system.

This is not to say that nerves as a whole might not hold desireable features like tooling over atom vm, but those things are not stuff that could be simply pulled over.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews