benperiton

benperiton

I’m attempting to integrate some AD stuff with my app, but I’m stuck on how to use the GUID that is returned with Ecto.

From exldap, I get this back:

'objectGUID' => [
    [219, 12, 193, 79, 151, 81, 153, 75, 128, 88, 23, 96, 59, 10, 33, 175]
]

which is fine, except if I try and load it with Ecto I get the wrong UUID back:

[219, 12, 193, 79, 151, 81, 153, 75, 128, 88, 23, 96, 59, 10, 33, 175]
|> :binary.list_to_bin
|> Ecto.UUID.load

{:ok, "db0cc14f-9751-994b-8058-17603b0a21af"}

Expected: 4FC10CDB-5197-4B99-8058-17603B0A21AF
Actual: DB0CC14F-9751-994B-8058-17603B0A21AF

I’m sure there’ something obvious that I’m overlooking!

Showing Posts 1 to 10

axelson

axelson

Scenic Core Team

This was a cool little problem!

First step, find the “correct” format of the expected UUID “4FC10CDB-5197-4B99-8058-17603B0A21AF”

iex(50)> Ecto.UUID.dump("4FC10CDB-5197-4B99-8058-17603B0A21AF")
{:ok, <<79, 193, 12, 219, 81, 151, 75, 153, 128, 88, 23, 96, 59, 10, 33, 175>>}

Hmmm, some of those numbers look similar. Let’s look at them side by side (aligned by comma):

[79,  193, 12,  219, 81,  151, 75,  153, 128, 88, 23, 96, 59, 10, 33, 175]
[219, 12,  193, 79,  151, 81,  153, 75,  128, 88, 23, 96, 59, 10, 33, 175]

In chunks:

[79,  193, 12,  219,  |  81,  151,   |  75,  153,  |  128, 88, 23, 96, 59, 10, 33, 175]
[219, 12,  193, 79,   |  151, 81,    |  153, 75,   |  128, 88, 23, 96, 59, 10, 33, 175]

So for some reason (someone else may understand the reason) the first 4 numbers are reversed, then the next two, and the next two again, but all the rest after that match (which is why “8058-17603B0A21AF” is decoded correctly).

So you can write a function to convert as follows:

defmodule Test do
  def convert(list) do
    {first4, rest} = Enum.split(list, 4)
    {second2, rest} = Enum.split(rest, 2)
    {third2, rest} = Enum.split(rest, 2)

    Enum.reverse(first4)
    |> Enum.concat(Enum.reverse(second2))
    |> Enum.concat(Enum.reverse(third2))
    |> Enum.concat(rest)
  end
end

Which can then be used for the desired output:

iex(55)> list = [219, 12, 193, 79, 151, 81, 153, 75, 128, 88, 23, 96, 59, 10, 33, 175]
[219, 12, 193, 79, 151, 81, 153, 75, 128, 88, 23, 96, 59, 10, 33, 175]
iex(56)> Test.convert(list) |> :binary.list_to_bin() |> Ecto.UUID.load()
{:ok, "4fc10cdb-5197-4b99-8058-17603b0a21af"}
benperiton

benperiton OP

Thank you!!
I spent so long looking at it, I couldn’t see that the first 3 parts were reversed! :blush:

Which with some googling leads to:

Variant bits aside, the two variants are the same except that when reduced to a binary form for storage or transmission, variant 1 UUIDs use “network” (big-endian) byte order, while variant 2 GUIDs use “native” (little-endian) byte order. In their textual representations, variants 1 and 2 are the same except for the variant bits.

When byte swapping is required to convert between the big-endian byte order of variant 1 and the little-endian byte order of variant 2, the fields above define the swapping. The first three fields are unsigned 32- and 16-bit integers and are subject to swapping, while the last two fields consist of uninterpreted bytes, not subject to swapping. This byte swapping applies even for version 3, 4, and 5 UUID’s where the canonical fields do not correspond to the content of the UUID

So I think that explains the ordering of the first 3 parts.

Thankyou again! :grin:

axelson

axelson

Scenic Core Team

Awesome, I’m glad it’s helpful!

benperiton

benperiton OP

So that has now lead me to this: (Thanks to this post on mixed endian binaries - Pete Corey - Building Mixed Endian Binaries with Elixir)

iex(65)> << a::32, b::16, c::16, d::16, e::48 >> = [219, 12, 193, 79, 151, 81, 153, 75, 128, 88, 23, 96, 59, 10, 33, 175] |> :binary.list_to_bin
<<219, 12, 193, 79, 151, 81, 153, 75, 128, 88, 23, 96, 59, 10, 33, 175>>

iex(66)> << a::32-little, b::16-little, c::16-little, d::16-big, e::48-big >>
<<79, 193, 12, 219, 81, 151, 75, 153, 128, 88, 23, 96, 59, 10, 33, 175>>

iex(67)> << a::32-little, b::16-little, c::16-little, d::16-big, e::48-big >> |> Base.encode16
"4FC10CDB51974B99805817603B0A21AF"

And then a nice little function to swap:

def swap_endians(<< a::32, b::16, c::16, d::16, e::48 >>) do
  << a::32-little, b::16-little, c::16-little, d::16-big, e::48-big >>
end
[219, 12, 193, 79, 151, 81, 153, 75, 128, 88, 23, 96, 59, 10, 33, 175]
|> :binary.list_to_bin()
|> swap_endians()
|> Base.encode16()

"4FC10CDB2D51974B99805817603B0A21AF"
axelson

axelson

Scenic Core Team

Ah, very nice!

sribe

sribe

And all this means that somewhere, they’re getting converted to/from integers by code which is not aware of the different byte-ordering between variants. My guess is Ecto, might be worth a bug report…

benperiton

benperiton OP

Yea, I was wondering if it was Exldap (which calls out to eldap) as that is where the list came from, or if it is Ecto as it is not making sure that the endians are correct.

I’ll have a play in a bit with some other UUID libs and see if I can come up with where the issue is

Edit:
Thinking about it, that is how it is stored in AD, so it’s not really anything to do with Exldap, so yea would seem more likely that Ecto is not checking endiness.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

‘How’ would it check that?

sribe

sribe

I would hope there would be bits specifying the variant at a fixed location, octet-wise, and they would include that. But of course this is MS we’re talking about, so who knows. (A few minutes with google produced a lot of discussions but no real answer.)

benperiton

benperiton OP

So for completeness, this is the issue I raised: Endiness check for UUIDs · Issue #2660 · elixir-ecto/ecto · GitHub

Basic gist is that there is a difference between a UUID and a GUID (I always assumed they were the same) - that difference being the endiness, so it’s not really down to Ecto.

I’m just going to create a new type for it and use that instead - I’ll update this post with it when I get back around to looking at that app :slight_smile:

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews