weljoda

weljoda

Hey there I’m giving Ash my first try and like it pretty well so far. I’m trying to implement a bulk update but run into a SQL error and I can only guess the problem. I have the following Change, similar to the one in the book:

defmodule CourseManager.Chat.Changes.AddUserToSeenBy do
  use Ash.Resource.Change

  @impl true
  def init(opts), do: {:ok, opts}

  @impl true
  def atomic(_changeset, _opts, context) do
    if context.actor do
      actor_id = context.actor.id
      {:atomic,
       %{
         seen_by:
           {:atomic,
            expr(
              fragment(
                "array_prepend(?, array_remove(?, ?))",
                ^actor_id,
                seen_by,
                ^actor_id
              )
            )}
       }}
    else
      :ok
    end
  end
end

And the attribute:

    attribute :seen_by, {:array, :uuid} do
      description "Array of user IDs who have seen this message"
      default []
      public? true
    end

The bulk_update didn’t work, so I tried a single update, but I get the following error:

[debug] QUERY ERROR source="messages" db=1.5ms queue=0.3ms idle=25.3ms
UPDATE "messages" AS m0 SET "updated_at" = (CASE WHEN (array_prepend($1, array_remove(m0."seen_by"::uuid[], $2)))::uuid[] != m0."seen_by"::uuid[] THEN $3::timestamp ELSE m0."updated_at"::timestamp END)::timestamp, "seen_by" = (array_prepend($4, array_remove(m0."seen_by"::uuid[], $5)))::uuid[] WHERE (m0."id"::uuid = $6::uuid) RETURNING m0."id", m0."message", m0."deleted", m0."reactions", m0."seen_by", m0."inserted_at", m0."updated_at", m0."user_id", m0."course_id", m0."parent_message_id" ["71a3f79a-62f6-49c3-8c43-d7d82ab6fd1c", "71a3f79a-62f6-49c3-8c43-d7d82ab6fd1c", ~U[2025-07-28 16:35:28.369137Z], "71a3f79a-62f6-49c3-8c43-d7d82ab6fd1c", "71a3f79a-62f6-49c3-8c43-d7d82ab6fd1c", "b6a170f6-0373-460f-acef-77ae9e76bb72"]

When I put the query in pgadmin and applying the arguments, I only have to use single quotes to make it work correctly.

Is it possible that the PG typecheck fails because the actor_id is not passed as a uuid but as a string instead?
Can anyone give me some advice how to proceed?

Thanks

Showing Posts 1 to 2

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Hmm…it could be related to that. You don’t see any other errors? Something you can try as an experiment is transforming the actor_id to a binary before providing it. Or you could try:

type(^actor_id, :uuid) in place of just referencing the actor id.

weljoda

weljoda OP

Amazing, thanks very much :face_blowing_a_kiss:. It did the trick.

              fragment(
                "array_prepend(?, array_remove(?, ?))",
                type(^actor_id, :uuid),
                seen_by,
                type(^actor_id, :uuid)
              )
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews