sc4224
Hi I’m new to session storage in the backend. Would you store a session in an agent or something like redis?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 7- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
kodepett
It’s advisable to start with an elixir option before considering alternatives. If you don’t get the expected performance from Agents or ETS, then you can try other options.
sc4224
@kodepett on that note, why would we use ets over agents?
kokolegorille
ETS is just much faster
kodepett
Agent is basically a GenServer; due to this, concurrent calls are serialized, ETS implementation is quite different allowing concurrent read and write
akoutmos
Like most things in software it’s a matter of tradeoffs. With ETS you’ll get a considerable performance bump when reading sessions (you can also refer to Plug.Session.ETS — Plug v1.20.2) if many requests come in from the same user and reference the same agent. And you also won’t have to worry much about spawning too many processes and taking down the BEAM (Erlang -- Advanced).
On the other hand, when mutating data in ETS, you may come across some race conditions as data persisted to ETS will depend on what process writes last to it. In other words, if multiple requests come in from the same user and changes need to be made to their session data, the process that mutates ETS last will be the state of the session.
It sounds like if you’re just experimenting with things and learning, the ETS session Plug should work just fine. If you want further reading into ETS vs Agents/GenServers this is a good blog post: Optimizing Your Elixir and Phoenix projects with ETS - DockYard
sc4224
so which one is the best for storing user sessions
kokolegorille
There is Plug.Session to manage this…
It can be configured to use ETS or Cookies. Here is official documentation.
https://phoenixframework.org/blog/sessions
The recommended way is not to use ETS in production.