BrightEyesDavid

BrightEyesDavid

I have two schemas which are similar and which each contain the same embedded schema. One represents user-submitted data (submission) and one represents admin-created data which may or may not be based on a user submission (entry).

For entry’s new (from a submission) web admin action, so that the form inputs are prefilled with the submission’s data, how can I convert one Ecto submission result (a struct) and its embedded schemas (also structs) into a nested map in order to use it as params for a new changeset?

This would be from something like:

%MyApp.Submission{
  __meta__: #Ecto.Schema.Metadata<:loaded, "submissions">,
  entries: nil,
  data: %MyApp.Data{
    foo: true,
    TemperatureData: [
      %MyApp.Data.TemperatureOffset{
        Offset: -3,
        Temperature: -24,
        id: "1ffd0e3f-d5d9-4d1e-9a99-ae190dddde08"
      },
      %MyApp.Data.TemperatureOffset{
        Offset: 3,
        Temperature: 10,
        id: "7cd90b5b-19e1-4d4a-a68b-0d783ba76412"
      }
    ],
    id: "0b47e792-fc45-4c48-b476-877ede66aeda"
  },
  id: "0540750a-3ef3-4cf0-aa37-23cda4cb5d39",
  name: "Test"
}

to:

%{
  data: %{
    HVT: true,
    TemperatureData: [
      %{
        Offset: -3,
        Temperature: -24
      },
      %{
        Offset: 3,
        Temperature: 10
      }
    ]
  },
  id: "0540750a-3ef3-4cf0-aa37-23cda4cb5d39",
  name: "Test"
}

(In the example result I’ve removed the embedded schema’s ids, though I’m not sure this is necessary.)

Thanks.


Edit: apologies - I’ve realised (I think) this can be achieved simply by using changeset functions. If I understand correctly, I just need to remove the submission’s id before using it to make a new changeset.

Showing Posts 1 to 1

BrightEyesDavid

BrightEyesDavid OP

I currently have the following which seems to be doing the trick.

Controller:

def new(conn, %{"from_submission" => from_submission_id}) do
  submission = WorkData.get_submission!(from_submission_id)
  changeset = WorkData.create_entry_changeset_from_submission(submission)
  # ...
end

Context:

def create_entry_changeset_from_submission(%Submission{} = submission) do
  Entry.changeset_from_submission(submission)
end

Entry Schema:

def changeset_from_submission(submission) do
  %Entry{}
  |> changeset(%{})
  |> put_change(:data, submission.data)
  |> put_change(:type, submission.type)
  |> put_change(:name, submission.name)
end

Does this seem like a sane/reasonable way of creating a changeset in order to prefill entry HTML form fields with values from a submission?

It avoids what I get when I try to throw the whole single submission result into a changeset, even after using Map.from_struct/1:

[debug] ** (Ecto.CastError) expected params to be a :map, got: %MyApp.MyModule.WorkData.TemperatureOffsetProfile{foo: true, TemperatureData: [%MyApp.MyModule.WorkData.TemperatureOffset{Offset: -3, Temperature: -24, id: "1ffd0e3f-d5d9-4d1e-9a99-ae190dddde08"}, %MyApp.MyModule.WorkData.TemperatureOffset{Offset: 3, Temperature: 10, id: "7cd90b5b-19e1-4d4a-a68b-0d783ba76412"}], id: "0b47e792-fc45-4c48-b476-877ede66aeda"}

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews