lardcanoe
I am using ash_auth for password/google registration/signup.
I was looking into also using it to let a user connect to a 3rd party service so I can track tokens, but I do NOT want to enable registration or signup for that.
This doesn’t seem to be a use case that ash auth currently allows. True? I should just use assent directly?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
zachdaniel
While it might be possible to make that work, I know that it was not designed/tested for that kind of use case. I think a case could be made that it can/should be added to
ash_auth, but for now I’d assume it’s not on the table. Perhaps open an issue on the repo to track that as a feature request? I imagine that if I or @jimsynz want to do something similar that we’re going to want to reuse all the goodies in AshAuthentication instead of hand rolling it from scratch.PRs welcome for this kind of feature, although want to run it by @jimsynz as well
jimsynz
I think you’re right @zachdaniel - it’s authentication adjacent so not really something I had considered. However, if you set up registration for this 3rd party service (let’s call it “guthib”) you can modify the
register_with_guthibcreate action to only work if the user already exists. That way you can still utilise the identity resource to keep track of their tokens and keep them fresh. It is a bit of a hack, and you’d have to manually implement your sign in UI so that it didn’t provide the guthib option to your users. I would welcome a PR that adds the ability to add identities to authenticated users.Good luck!
lardcanoe
It dawned on me after a bit of tinkering that ash_auth wasn’t gonna be the right approach anyway for me. I have a model where a User can be part of multiple Organizations, and I need to tie the refresh_tokens to a UserOrg, not a User. That was going to mean I would need to have the UserOrg also be an identity for ash_auth, which just wasn’t right (since I would be forced to define a strategy).
Ultimately,
assentwas like ~30 lines of code spread across the router, controller, and a tiny OAuth module. (Plus a new resource to store the tokens).Thank you for the feedback!
jimsynz
Glad you found a solution that works for you!
ajst7les
@jimsynz I was wondering if this was on the roadmap?