bigbassroller

bigbassroller

I am trying to use EFS to store assets instead of S3 and wondering whats the best way to develop locally?

I spent quite a bit of time getting EFS mounted on my Elastic Beanstalk EC2 instances and finally got it working (pay attention to those security groups!) Now I am trying to get EFS mounted locally, but that is going down a rabbit hole involving AWS VPNs, bastions and on perm providers and no clear path for some midnight code cowboy on his home computer. This is the closest article I’ve found: https://medium.com/@rmonteiro/guide-on-setting-up-home-network-to-an-aws-vpc-via-vpn-e2d95cbe1536. …yikes! thats a lot work!

I am wondering if I should just use the default file system when working locally and switch to EFS when in production?

Does anybody out there have any thoughts or experience with this?

Showing Posts 1 to 2

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

Never used EFS, but the documentation suggests it works like NFS always has - you mount it in the standard UNIXy ways and then interact with it like any other filesystem.

Big difference (from skimming the FAQ) is that it’s not Internet-accessible like S3 so every byte of assets served from it has to go through your application stack, but that shouldn’t make any difference locally.

bigbassroller

bigbassroller OP

Thanks for your reply al2o3cr. I am new to NFS and EFS, so its double wammy learning experience for me :sweat_smile:

I think the best solution is to use local file system for local development and use EFS in production. That way don’t have to deal with VPN and things keep secure.

Anybody comes across this and knows a better or has an interesting solution, I am all ears.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews